Any good hacks/upgrades you've come up with for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
my truck's previous owner had a couple hidden 3 position switches put in. they're down near the fuse block left of the column. anyway i was wiring something in and when i was finished everything as far as the new accessory worked out great. then i went to drive the truck to my blind early a few days later and the tail light weren't working. i thought i accidentally messed something up. it turns out i bumped one of those switches by mistake. i've yet to trace them both to where they go, but the one 3 position switch disables lights in different combinations. turns out i can black the truck out so even the brake lights won't work. dude mustve been a poacher or drug runner, haha!!! unless other cucv trucks have this option to sneak around...

I tied a pizza strang around the brake light fuze of my SS with the other end around the headlight switch. POP! Yank that sumbitch out in a heartbeat.
It worked well...

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks, I appreciate that. Also, some people have obviously done this, but I’m not sure if on here, but here’s what a hidden fuel door mod looks like on these.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/hidden-fuel-tank-filler-door.7268/

Why not use a fold-down license plate with the filler behind like a lot of 60's-90's cars?
Relocating the tank from the cab to the rear is a popular mod on the 72 and prior Chevy/GMC pickups.
This is hot rodding. Mixing Ford, GM, and Chrysler products is allowed. I've even seen European and Asian tanks used on Rods. Find a tank that fits or almost fits what you need. Some welding may be required...
Modified 1st & 2nd gen Ford Mustang gas tanks have been used in the 47-59 GMC & Chevy trucks.
The nice thing about using a 67 & later GM car tank is not that it's a GM product... It's the minimal welding that might be required... the sender that fits that tank will be the standard GM 0-90Ω unit. Measure the tank from a 60's A or B-Body like the 68 Impala or 68-72 Chevelle, Skylark, LeMans, Cutlass. If you are installing fuel injection and want a Poly tank measure the 94-96 Caprice/Impala tank.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Why not use a fold-down license plate with the filler behind like a lot of 60's-90's cars?
Relocating the tank from the cab to the rear is a popular mod on the 72 and prior Chevy/GMC pickups.
This is hot rodding. Mixing Ford, GM, and Chrysler products is allowed. I've even seen European and Asian tanks used on Rods. Find a tank that fits or almost fits what you need. Some welding may be required...
Modified 1st & 2nd gen Ford Mustang gas tanks have been used in the 47-59 GMC & Chevy trucks.
The nice thing about using a 67 & later GM car tank is not that it's a GM product... It's the minimal welding that might be required... the sender that fits that tank will be the standard GM 0-90Ω unit. Measure the tank from a 60's A or B-Body like the 68 Impala or 68-72 Chevelle, Skylark, LeMans, Cutlass. If you are installing fuel injection and want a Poly tank measure the 94-96 Caprice/Impala tank.
The height of the filler neck on the blazer tank vs the height of the license plate, the plate is too low to accomplish this. I already looked into that part of it. Whether or not a car tank would fit between the frame rails, I'm not sure. It would still have to tuck up there pretty far and I think the truck bumper sits lower than the car bumper.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Front receiver for an 18,000 lb Mile Marker. Cost about $20 to fabricate and was really useful:

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Some more useless stuff:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Front receiver for an 18,000 lb Mile Marker. Cost about $20 to fabricate and was really useful:
My Grandpa had bought a 70 new. He immediately did that. I got to see how good it worked, when he would park his boat down a LONG, tight access trail/road. Pretty cool.

Lmao. The zerk fitting....

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Manual tcc control switch and trailer brake controller in the ash tray.

9006 to 9012 bulb change in conversion light housings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne