another Chevy Cummins swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Little update: so yesterday I was load testing the springs that are in the dually I put about 600 lbs of tires ! And let's say it didn't like it at all !! Lol so I called off road designs to help me out and he hooked me up ! I got a front spring that will hold the wieght of The cummins and still hold 8" of lift ! So pretty Awsome ! I know that I haven't really put any pics of yet but I will !! I do most of my posting though it when I get home on the comp I'll take some good pics ..

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
That engine is closer to 1100. I hope you took that into account.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea I know that it is with tranny its about 1800 so I guess we will see !

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
If you have a dana 60 kingpin in front they handle the extra weight just fine. Brother has about 50k miles on his never a problem.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
If you go to you tube and type in (The Diesel Stop) he has a conversion and he has almost a step by step on the conversion. He might be able to help you out on that tranny mount i think he used the chevy one but he was running a 727.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea ill ask him I watch some of those before ! So yea ill look more in to it .. Thanks

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
This might be a dumb question ! But where are the lifting Pionts for a 454 4x4 tranny x fee case

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Hey guys sorry its been a while but I been busy !! I got the engine in and everything ready to go and start wiring the truck back but now I have huge voltage drop now and windows won't work and blinkers and what now like its just doesn't have enough power to do any of that and it's drawing from every where else battery's read 12 .28 I'm just trying to get the inside and everything esle up and running ... So any help would be awsome thanks

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Hey guys sorry its been a while but I been busy !! I got the engine in and everything ready to go and start wiring the truck back but now I have huge voltage drop now and windows won't work and blinkers and what now like its just doesn't have enough power to do any of that and it's drawing from every where else battery's read 12 .28 I'm just trying to get the inside and everything esle up and running ... So any help would be awsome thanks
Pull the negative battery cable and put your voltmeter between the cable and post. Do you have a reading? You're also being kinda vague. Are you starting the engine and it has a drop? Is it just in acc mode? Details man.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea I haven't even cranked the engine over . I was tracing wires and testing voltage that I could use for the starter and the 12v source to the injection pump . So what I did was I put the grounds back to the engine and and ran a ground from the engine to the fram and to the battery . Then I was wondering why my windows didn't work ? And when I click the button to use them it drains everything else ? And dims the interior lights ? Where I was testing the voltage drop from was the Juction box I. The back of the fire wall it was 8 volts an the battery are 12 volts ? ! So ... I don't know what to do for
Here .

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The wiring to the starter is going to be wired the same as it was with the Chevy gas engine. I have a cummins engine and a ford starter. Theres the battery cable and like a 6 awg wire on the large post of the starter. If I'm not mistaken the 6 awg runs your accessories and goes to alternator. Im saying this from memory so I might be mistaken. Then you have your smaller wire on the side. The injection pump is easy. Use the + hot that was on your coil and run that to the fuel cut off of your injection pump. One of the guys should be able to tell you the color of the wires on their starter. I'm not going to be able to for awhile.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I've used a Chevy and ford starter with it. I've had both transmissions behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512