Alternator for my '82 C20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Goetz

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What brand alternators are you all using in your rides? I'm needing to get a new one for my '82 C20. It has a 350 with A/C. Any suggestions? Also, how do I determine what size to get? The one that is in there is newer and I'm not sure if its the correct one. TIA.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
A/C delco if available and I can afford it. Otherwise new over reman no real brand preference, but I've had good luck with the WIA brand from Autozone lately. You maybe able to figure out the correct amperage alternator from your RPO codes. Failing that it usually won't hurt you to have a slightly higher output alternator than you need, but to low and it'll work itself to death.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Check parts numbers and get a 94 amp 12si with a standard pulley.

On my ‘75 the HD alternator was a 63 amp 10si, but the 94 amp 12si is an exact replacement, and they are readily available at any parts store. I would have to look at mine to get the Lester cross-reference number.

I also pulled the Bat terminal charge wire with fusible link off a 90’s GM truck and used that to make sure I had a big enough wire for the 94 amp.

Bruce

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Check parts numbers and get a 94 amp 12si with a standard pulley.

On my ‘75 the HD alternator was a 63 amp 10si, but the 94 amp 12si is an exact replacement, and they are readily available at any parts store. I would have to look at mine to get the Lester cross-reference number.

I also pulled the Bat terminal charge wire with fusible link off a 90’s GM truck and used that to make sure I had a big enough wire for the 94 amp.

Bruce

This is what we did on my '79 as well.
Works like a champ.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
you can also have your current one rebuilt if you have a local shop that does those. Most large cities will have an alternator/starter rebuild shop and they are often much better quality and cheaper than what you can get at a parts store.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
you can also have your current one rebuilt if you have a local shop that does those. Most large cities will have an alternator/starter rebuild shop and they are often much better quality and cheaper than what you can get at a parts store.

I completely agree with this thought. There use to be several companys doing alternator / starter rebuilds in my area, sadly they are all gone now. Like carb shops and radiator shops, they are becoming a thing of yesterday. But it's a good option if you still have a shop that does them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcon73