Air ride shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue87

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I've got an 87 Scottsdale V10 that has quad shocks up front, adjustable air shocks in the rear that are completely shot, and rear air bags that are aftermarket?

My issue is that the trucks suspension is just junk. I'm researching the best shocks to use up front, and am trying to figure out if I am going to ditch the adjustable air shocks in the rear. The air bags are getting removed since I really see no use for them anymore. I do tow a boat that is about 4200lbs loaded down though.

Does anyone just have the rear air shocks? How do they hold up, ride quality, etc? Not sure if I should stick with them or just put some regular gas charged shocks back there.

Suggestions? Thanks!

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I had air shocks in a Nissan Hardbody a few years back. They made the height adjustable, but really added nothing to load capacity - fully loaded they were marginally useful. They were also not-gas charged, and were valved pretty soft. I would run air bags instead, and probably will on my Chevy some day.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
On my '78 K10 I bought it with rear air shocks. The rear rode like a brick even with hardly any air in them. I then installed Rancho adjustable shocks (back then they were just 5 way adjustable and a different number). Now they are called Rancho RS9000 XL shocks.

They were great. It took a bit of experimenting to find what settings I liked. When running empty I had the front set more firm than the rear. Then when towing I matched the front and rear and often bumped up the stiffness. This made towing much nicer.

A friend of mine liked the setup so much he put the same shocks on his 2000 Silverado because he loads his snowmobile in the back and it handled poorly. He likes the shocks also.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers/rs9000xl-shock-absorber

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
I've never been a fan of air shocks. A lot of load can be put on the mounts. They ride bad. A good gas shock is all you need. Keep the air bags. Separate the two so you can adjust each side individually. I used to put them through the top two license plate holes. Handy and they really help with a load. 1/2 ton truck the 2500# kit is plenty. Bigger truck go to the 5000# kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus