Aftermarket headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I want to do some aftermarket headlights on my 89 suburban and my 78 pickup. The suburban is the dual side by side lights and the 78 pickup are the round ones. What's your opinion on the style I should get or if you already have some on yours what kind do you have?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I want to do some aftermarket headlights on my 89 suburban and my 78 pickup. The suburban is the dual side by side lights and the 78 pickup are the round ones. What's your opinion on the style I should get or if you already have some on yours what kind do you have?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish with "aftermarket" headlights. Are you going for upgraded lighting with the stock look? Or are you after some "angel eyes" or LED ringed lights for an effect during driving? You can get headlights for either of your trucks with halo rings and the like, they are all over the bay website. I went with upgraded lighting but the stock look...

I went with the LMC headlight harness also then got some Hella H4 eurospec round headlights with slightly upgraded wattage for the bulbs. Much better pattern to see those pesky deer hiding along the road.

I did this upgrade after seeing your results. Thank you! The Hella H4 Especs are pretty awesome for a great price! I didn't go with the harness from LMC, but just as long as you put SOME sort of harness in that utilizes relays to power the lights, you are good to go.

edit: Holy balls... I just did a search on eBay for 7" round headlights, there are so many choices out there... lots of LED and projector types, all relatively inexpensive. I would say beware of some of them that seem to cheap to believe, there is probably a reason they are cheap.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'm glad you liked those Hella H4 lights. I work nights and probably drive more at night than almost anyone else I know. In winter here I drive to and from work in the dark. Good lights are very important to me.

Flyr282

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
On my 74, I went with a set of the cheap 7" Round H4 direct swap ins. Same exact lights as jeeps. Those and a nice set of bulbs made a world of difference compared to the stock sealed beams.

Adding in a headlight relay kit gave them a little bit more voltage, so they performed a little bit better. Mainly used it to take the load off the headlight switch.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 74 k10 and I bought the harness and relay kit from lmc.. helped a little but kinda disappointed. Christmas rolled around right after and I got some nice hella's and led setup. as far as the output on those, I can compare it to my fiancés 2015 acura.
if you want the harness I can throw it your way for like 20 bucks. I just have it sitting in the garage for a day I need some spare wire lol

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Anyone run the new LED headlight setups they have now? I've seen just the bulbs that are supposed to be able to replace the halogen type, or H4, type.. I like the idea of much more light, with way less current draw.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anyone run the new LED headlight setups they have now? I've seen just the bulbs that are supposed to be able to replace the halogen type, or H4, type.. I like the idea of much more light, with way less current draw.

ill see if I can snap some pictures tonight when it gets dark. its amazing how different they are

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I just bought two Sylvania XtraVision bulbs for 20 bucks because that's a terrific deal, not because mine are inadequate...But I'm running eyebrows too. They are really great! (the eyebrows)

Haven't installed the Xtra visions yet but ima shoot pics before and after or one of each.
6500k is WAY TO blue.

Last edited:

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Attachments

• nolight.jpg