Advice and Parts recommendations for some 6.2 cam/valvetrain work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
This isn't in a square, but my wife's daily, 2013 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 and a Texas Speed VVT Stage 2 cam (installed with a DOD delete ~4 years ago) is giving me some problems. The long Version:
A year ago, I got a P219B code (A/F imbalance, Bank 2) and valvetrain noise. Pulled the valve cover on bank 2 and saw a factory rocker was trashed, not surprising with the stiff springs and cam, so I replaced them all with a set of Summit's upgraded trunnion rockers. Pushrods and everything else was fine.
Last month, I get a P219A (Bank 1 A/F imbalance), I pull the bank 1 cover, cylinder 7 exhaust rocker was trashed. Scratched my head a little, then got another under warranty at Summit, installed it and everything was fine.
Yesterday, I'm driving home, 2 blocks away it feels funny and almost stalls at a light. It cleared up when I took off, then felt funny again as I rolled up to my house, at the same time, got a flashing check engine code, P219A... Started it to see if I heard anything, ran rough, then heard a bit of a scraping noise and turned it off. Pulled valve cover on Bank 1 tonight, valves seemed to all be lifting properly (as much as I could measure with a machinist's ruler), pulled all rockers, all turned free etc., pushrods straight, rotated engine and lifters seemed to hold in their trays.
Tried running it as a 4 then a 6 cylinder (by removing pushrods and letting lifters stay up in the tray) to see if I could hear the scraping noise without pressure on the cam (thinking I might have a lifter rotated in a broken tray and/or a wiped out cam lobe). It ran, but rough, and I couldn't tell one way or the other, I just knew it was all kinds of wrong.

I'm probably at the point that I just need to tear it down, pull the heads, inspect lifters and cam, etc., unless someone has better ideas. That's the advice part.
The next part, who should I be getting lifter trays and lifters from? What about head gaskets? I live 20 minutes from Summit Racing, and Amazon gets me parts about as quick as that so I prefer those if possible. I need to watch my money, but I am in NO WAY wanting to do this again. GM OEM parts and gaskets? Fel Pro? Summit brand?

Thanks in advance.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This isn't in a square, but my wife's daily, 2013 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 and a Texas Speed VVT Stage 2 cam (installed with a DOD delete ~4 years ago) is giving me some problems. The long Version:
A year ago, I got a P219B code (A/F imbalance, Bank 2) and valvetrain noise. Pulled the valve cover on bank 2 and saw a factory rocker was trashed, not surprising with the stiff springs and cam, so I replaced them all with a set of Summit's upgraded trunnion rockers. Pushrods and everything else was fine.
Last month, I get a P219A (Bank 1 A/F imbalance), I pull the bank 1 cover, cylinder 7 exhaust rocker was trashed. Scratched my head a little, then got another under warranty at Summit, installed it and everything was fine.
Yesterday, I'm driving home, 2 blocks away it feels funny and almost stalls at a light. It cleared up when I took off, then felt funny again as I rolled up to my house, at the same time, got a flashing check engine code, P219A... Started it to see if I heard anything, ran rough, then heard a bit of a scraping noise and turned it off. Pulled valve cover on Bank 1 tonight, valves seemed to all be lifting properly (as much as I could measure with a machinist's ruler), pulled all rockers, all turned free etc., pushrods straight, rotated engine and lifters seemed to hold in their trays.
Tried running it as a 4 then a 6 cylinder (by removing pushrods and letting lifters stay up in the tray) to see if I could hear the scraping noise without pressure on the cam (thinking I might have a lifter rotated in a broken tray and/or a wiped out cam lobe). It ran, but rough, and I couldn't tell one way or the other, I just knew it was all kinds of wrong.

I'm probably at the point that I just need to tear it down, pull the heads, inspect lifters and cam, etc., unless someone has better ideas. That's the advice part.
The next part, who should I be getting lifter trays and lifters from? What about head gaskets? I live 20 minutes from Summit Racing, and Amazon gets me parts about as quick as that so I prefer those if possible. I need to watch my money, but I am in NO WAY wanting to do this again. GM OEM parts and gaskets? Fel Pro? Summit brand?

Thanks in advance.
I used GM trays and Delphi LS7 lifters sourced through Michigan Motorsports. I used factory GM 6.2 headgaskets from Summit. They are only ~$30 each I think. I also did an ARP headbolt kit at the same time, because why not. You might want to run a compression test on it, both to see what the plugs look like and also to see what compression is. Is this the older low lift version (.600/.600) or the newer one with more lift?

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I think I used Michigan Motorsports lifter and tray setup, but it was also right at the front end of Covid when everything was crazy, so it might just be a bad batch (assuming that's my issue). Pretty sure I used GM head gaskets, no reason for me to switch then.

I looked it up, it was a 220/232 .600/.600 L92 VVT Stage 2. Looks like they don't offer the VVT cams anymore, and their L92 stage 2 now recommends 2800 minimum stall... If I need to replace the cam, looks like I will have to go 3 bolt and no VVT, probably just as well since no one wants to tune them. And I'll probably drop back to Stage 1 for momma's car.

I figured out how to space this out a bit by getting my old yukon back on the road, meaning I'll actually be able to tear it down, inspect, then order as needed instead of ordering everything ahead of time. I'm afraid of what I'm going to find :(

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I think I used Michigan Motorsports lifter and tray setup, but it was also right at the front end of Covid when everything was crazy, so it might just be a bad batch (assuming that's my issue). Pretty sure I used GM head gaskets, no reason for me to switch then.

I looked it up, it was a 220/232 .600/.600 L92 VVT Stage 2. Looks like they don't offer the VVT cams anymore, and their L92 stage 2 now recommends 2800 minimum stall... If I need to replace the cam, looks like I will have to go 3 bolt and no VVT, probably just as well since no one wants to tune them. And I'll probably drop back to Stage 1 for momma's car.

I figured out how to space this out a bit by getting my old yukon back on the road, meaning I'll actually be able to tear it down, inspect, then order as needed instead of ordering everything ahead of time. I'm afraid of what I'm going to find :(
Yeah, I got the Stage 1 L92. Now they only have the Stage2 VVT and it is a second Generation of that cam with more lift. They no longer offer a stage 1 version. I was very tempted to go with a non VVT version and convert to a 3 bolt cam gear.. hopefully I won't regret it.

Another thing I saw is that the .600 lift is within the range of the stock beehive springs, and I've seen several recommendations to just run the beehive springs instead of the dual springs with the higher pressures if you aren't spinning it up to high RPM's regularly. Since its a truck and tops out ~6500RPM.. I'm seriously considering swapping out the PAC dual springs for the beehives.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Keep us updated on what you find.. I'm really curious to see how this plays out

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Not the update you're looking for, but it's the update I've got. Dad came in Friday afternoon (that's him standing in front of the finished truck), it rained all day Saturday, but Sunday evening by 11 it was 90% done and still ugly, but much less ugly. Still need to splice a trans cooler line, then refill all fluids and get it moved out and cleaned up from where it's sat for over a year. and eventually the hood gaps straightened out and a fresh coat of paint on the new/used hood and maybe the fender, but for now the paint was the same color code and the price was right. This was my running 6.0 that was going to get swapped into my 87 V2500, but I think I've decided it's better as a daily, and the 87 needs something more like an 8.1 next year.

I'll get started on the 2013 teardown probably this weekend.

Attachments

• 20240421_224247.jpg
    20240421_224247.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240421_172617.jpg
    20240421_172617.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240421_095810.jpg
    20240421_095810.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 9

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Yeah, I got the Stage 1 L92. Now they only have the Stage2 VVT and it is a second Generation of that cam with more lift. They no longer offer a stage 1 version. I was very tempted to go with a non VVT version and convert to a 3 bolt cam gear.. hopefully I won't regret it.

Another thing I saw is that the .600 lift is within the range of the stock beehive springs, and I've seen several recommendations to just run the beehive springs instead of the dual springs with the higher pressures if you aren't spinning it up to high RPM's regularly. Since its a truck and tops out ~6500RPM.. I'm seriously considering swapping out the PAC dual springs for the beehives.
That's interesting on the stock springs. I might look closely at a new set of stock springs, and hang on to the stiff duals for another build in something less daily-driver... Especially if I have to replace the cam and go with a milder one.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's interesting on the stock springs. I might look closely at a new set of stock springs, and hang on to the stiff duals for another build in something less daily-driver... Especially if I have to replace the cam and go with a milder one.
I think the stock springs are only good to ~0.550. I said stock, but I meant the PAC or BTR beehive springs. They are good up to ~0.625 and are supposedly more reliable and longer lasting for a daily driven type of application.

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-625-lift-beehive-valve-spring-kit-btr-sk018.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray