Adding AC after ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
1983 K5 Blazer, originally a 6.2/700r4/208, currently a 350/400/208, soon to be 5.3/4L60E/208. The ac was removed before I got it and I know literally nothing about air conditioning other than my ole lady has got to have it. I know I’m going to need a condenser, evaporator, and the canister beside the evaporator(drier?) compressor, and lines. All the wiring seems to still be there just the lines were cut at the evaporator. I refuse to cut the frame so I suppose I’ll need an adapter or bracketry to mount it elsewhere. What compressor do I need? Can I just get an oem 83 compressor and some adapter to mount it on the 5.3? What wiring do I need from the 5.3 engine harness/ecu? Or can it all be activated by the k5’s harness? I’m trying to do this the most reliable route without spending $3500 on air conditioning.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sanden with bracket with spacing to match accessories. Use stock controls and run custom hoses.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Assuming sanden is a brand, which model would I need? I’ve never worked with ac so I don’t know a whole lot. Depending how it goes I may add it to my 78 later on for more comfort. I do plan on making this blazer a daily driveable vehicle so comfort and reliability are the only requirements.
Edit: factory replacement parts will work for the condenser, drier, and evaporator? I’ll just have to get special lines and compressor?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Make life easy. since you are basically starting with nothing, spend the $$ and buy a Vintage Air Surefit System. It's new, it's modern (plug & play-no cheesy vacuum lines and sticky cables...etc). It blows cold and it's reliable. One complete system engineered to work together. Don't go down the rabbit holes trying to piece it together trying to save a buck. Report back when finished. BTW-you're exempt from the "LS Swap" suggestion as you have already done the right thing in that regard. Carry on

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ve debated on that but $2500 for ac isn’t justifiable yet, and with having no knowledge of how any of it works or anything I can’t figure out what all I need. I looked at vintage air and they’ve got every price from 2500 down to 100 for different options included or without. I need literally every piece of the system I’d love to buy a complete kit

consti2tion

Reaction score
First Name
Cw
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I've done 2 LS swaps now, one on an 86 C10 and the other on my 86 C20 Suburban. On the C10 I used a new factory Denso/GM compressor https://a.co/d/aTxtnen part number 15-21177, on the suburban I used the GM Genuine Parts 15-21127 which is a larger capacity compressor from a 2001 Suburban. Now depending on which motor mounts you use, you can use the stock LS compressors mentioned above with only a little trimming of the front frame rail.

These motor mounts are what I used https://tejassteelworks.com/product/squarebody-ls-motor-mounts/ , they're cheap and the engine seriously falls into place with them.
Tejas SteelWorks has a pretty good guide for LS swapping a squarebody. https://tejassteelworks.com/wp-content/uploads/LS-Swap-Guide-73_87.pdf

The other parts you should be able to find from someone parting out these trucks local to you. You will want to buy a new evaporator, condenser, acumulator(drier), and heater core while you're at it. As far as the custom AC lines I followed this guys guide for which fittings etc I needed from coldhose.com, coldhose can make the lines and has the Denso/GM style compressor fitting adapters. Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try to copy and past the fitting part numbers and line orientation needed.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have a youtube channel where I have attempted to document how I have went about doing these swaps. Here is one that shows the motor mounts and frame mods for the compressor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

square85c10

Reaction score
First Name
randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've done 2 LS swaps now, one on an 86 C10 and the other on my 86 C20 Suburban. On the C10 I used a new factory Denso/GM compressor https://a.co/d/aTxtnen part number 15-21177, on the suburban I used the GM Genuine Parts 15-21127 which is a larger capacity compressor from a 2001 Suburban. Now depending on which motor mounts you use, you can use the stock LS compressors mentioned above with only a little trimming of the front frame rail.

These motor mounts are what I used https://tejassteelworks.com/product/squarebody-ls-motor-mounts/ , they're cheap and the engine seriously falls into place with them.
Tejas SteelWorks has a pretty good guide for LS swapping a squarebody. https://tejassteelworks.com/wp-content/uploads/LS-Swap-Guide-73_87.pdf

The other parts you should be able to find from someone parting out these trucks local to you. You will want to buy a new evaporator, condenser, acumulator(drier), and heater core while you're at it. As far as the custom AC lines I followed this guys guide for which fittings etc I needed from coldhose.com, coldhose can make the lines and has the Denso/GM style compressor fitting adapters. Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try to copy and past the fitting part numbers and line orientation needed.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have a youtube channel where I have attempted to document how I have went about doing these swaps. Here is one that shows the motor mounts and frame mods for the compressor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I appreciate your build list, that was very helpful, especially the AC hose list! What offset did you put the suction port on the dryer hose when you sent it back?

consti2tion

Reaction score
First Name
Cw
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I appreciate your build list, that was very helpful, especially the AC hose list! What offset did you put the suction port on the dryer hose when you sent it back?
I wish I could take credit for the list but another gentleman put that together, I don't know what he ended up putting it at. I took mine to Napa to get them to crimp the fittings on the suction line so I could clock them however I needed to. Not sure if you have one local to you but they didn't charge me to crimp fittings. I have since bought an AC line crimp tool from amazon, knock off of the Mastercool. Hindsight I should have spent the money on the Mastercool but the one I bought works well enough.

TC86

Reaction score
First Name
TC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
My 1986 C20 Suburban has a replacement 350, what is the best (and most economical) method of adding A/C back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005