Adding 81-82 bumper fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Recently threw on this fog light bumper and I’m wondering how/where to wire up the lights to come on with the marker/driving lights?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach
Recently threw on this fog light bumper and I’m wondering how/where to wire up the lights to come on with the marker/driving lights?
Those are supposed to be turn signal/marker lights. Get a relay and harness and wire them into a switched source from the light system.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Those are supposed to be turn signal/marker lights. Get a relay and harness and wire them into a switched source from the light system.
Will the fog lights blink with the turn signals if I wire them that way?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Only if you wire them to the turn signal wiring will they blink. But for fog lights you'll need actual fog light housings that will fit the bumper openings, and a way for them to mount. It's been done I believe, so you should be able to find a video or some info on how to alter it and wire it up.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Either marker light or headlight circuit. Easy find with a test light. Find a relay wiring diagram and learn it. You'll need to learn it anyways. Relays are important.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Only if you wire them to the turn signal wiring will they blink. But for fog lights you'll need actual fog light housings that will fit the bumper openings, and a way for them to mount. It's been done I believe, so you should be able to find a video or some info on how to alter it and wire it up.
I have head of guys doing that, but I've never seen the install so I'm not of much help, but. If I were doing it, I'd leave the OEM lens in the bumper and install a pair of Hella 450's or 550's whichever is the closest size to the opening right behind it. Aiming them would be a pain due to access back there, but they'd probably hold the aim pretty good since they are protected.

I wonder if @Ellie Niner would be able to give advice on this.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Cool, I have the housings and everything, just trying to figure out how to wire them in. I have the relays and marker wires make sense. Thanks!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay easy peasy. Way get a generic 4or 5 wire relay and socket from ebay,parts store where ever hook terminal 30 to battery 12v+ hook terminal 87 to your new lights 86 to battery/chassis ground. Hook terminal 85 to a marker light hot lead. Whenever the marker is on current will flow from 30 to 87 turning on your aux lights. I'll get you a relay pic and part number in a minute. You don't actually need a relay socket wires and 1/4 female terminals work. Fuse terminal 30 with a 15 amp fuse again 1/4 female terminals will work as fuse connections. Brb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-13_163345.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-13_163345.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Okay easy peasy. Way get a generic 4or 5 wire relay and socket from ebay,parts store where ever hook terminal 30 to battery 12v+ terminal 87 out to your new lights 86 to battery/chassis ground terminal 85 to a marker light hot lead. Whenever the marker is on current will flow fro 30 to 87 turning on your aux lights. I'll get you a relay pic and part number in a minute. You don't actually need a relay socket wires and 1/4 female terminals work. Fuse terminal 30 with a 15 amp fuse again 1/4 female terminals will work as fuse connections. Brb.
yes using original/old wiring on the vehicle to control relays makes it easy.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
The proper way to wire in the fog light relay is to hook the control wire to the low beam circuit. That then cuts out the fog lights when you go to high beams. If you are wanting to just use them as running lights you can switch the relay and use ignition power to the switch Then you control when they are on and they will be off when ign. is off.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^There’s a few good ways to wire them up, but not a ton of options to “integrate” them into the “system”. Imo.
Advisable to wire them either completely separate from OE wiring (I just don’t like taxing the old electrical system with new loads) or tap OE marker or low beams as a trigger for a relay controlled power source.
Doing either of these ^ will just have them auto ON with the parking lights or low beams.
I’d be more inclined to use the parking lights as a trigger source so they DONT turn off with high beams.
Yes I know it’s “illegal”. Who gives a F? When it’s dark as F the more lights the better….
I generally try to mod any of my newer vehicles to all on with the fog/driving lights and low/hi beams on together.
Maybe not needed if you just drive in urban areas. But at 5am crossing the Cascades, and elk n deer trying to commit suicide on a regular basis, I’ll take all the light I can get!
Or you could just old fashioned wire them to a separate switch to turn them on and off at will.
Hell, with an 80s truck you could put in an old floor mount dimmer switch to operate them. That would be awesome.
I used one (hidden) for an ad hoc fuel pump relay disconnect redneck security system on the 86.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
^There’s a few good ways to wire them up, but not a ton of options to “integrate” them into the “system”. Imo.
Advisable to wire them either completely separate from OE wiring (I just don’t like taxing the old electrical system with new loads) or tap OE marker or low beams as a trigger for a relay controlled power source.
Doing either of these ^ will just have them auto ON with the parking lights or low beams.
I’d be more inclined to use the parking lights as a trigger source so they DONT turn off with high beams.
Yes I know it’s “illegal”. Who gives a F? When it’s dark as F the more lights the better….
I generally try to mod any of my newer vehicles to all on with the fog/driving lights and low/hi beams on together.
Maybe not needed if you just drive in urban areas. But at 5am crossing the Cascades, and elk n deer trying to commit suicide on a regular basis, I’ll take all the light I can get!
Or you could just old fashioned wire them to a separate switch to turn them on and off at will.
Hell, with an 80s truck you could put in an old floor mount dimmer switch to operate them. That would be awesome.
I used one (hidden) for an ad hoc fuel pump relay disconnect redneck security system on the 86.
One comment on wiring them into the low beams, Like Grit said the way to do it is to wire them so the low beams trigger a relay and the fog or droving lights are powered separately. If you were to wire them directly to the low beams you'd tax the old wiring and at the very least dim them down to the point where your getting less light on the road overall. Ask me how I know. I very briefly try it with my Jeep, and changed it the next day.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Guys... it doesn't matter where you tap power from, it's going to draw the same amount of power from the truck.. while more load will be on that circuit, doesn't mean the load will be different anywhere else and you can still get dim lights. As well as it's just a switched source, I can't tell you what it draws to turn on a relay but it ain't much.

It's personal preference, of when you want your lights on and off. From experience, turn on a few off-road lights and the stock rated alternator won't handle it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef