A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Question, how hard is it to put the factory A/C stuff in a non A/C truck? What all would have to be done?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
With the age of the vehicle and any used components you find, plus the cost of R12 refrigerant I would explore a vintage air or aftermarket set up unless you find a donor vehicle you can take everything off of.

This isnt a complete list as Ive never done this, but I think a good amount of the following pieces need to be sourced:

AC Compressor and bracketry
Evaporator
Heater core and firewall box its all in???
Pulley from an AC truck to drive the AC compressor???
Fan / fan clutch???
Condenser
Interior switch panel, wiring, and vacuum lines
Alternator???
Blower motor???
Drier
AC Lines
Maybe the interior ducting also if its different from an AC to non AC truck.

Hopefully someone else can chime in. I like the idea of all stock but I wouldnt touch this project without a full donor vehicle with known working AC. Brothers sells a kit for 73-87 trucks thats like 1400, LMC might offer one as well.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
piece of cake, go to a boneyard, get all related parts, if possible take the compressor as well, as you will be charged a core charge, swap out all ducting, head unit, evap box with relays etc. minimal work is need modify, as most should be a bolt on. don't forget the crank and p/s pulleys as they have the extra groove for your belts. Helpful if you take pics of donor engine before taking it apart to use as a reference. Just plan on using a new condenser up front and compressor. keep headaches down to a minimum
Have fun!!

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks a lot for the responses. Yes, i figured I'd get it all from a donor truck from the local salvage. It's on an 82 k20.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS