98-02 camaro fuel tank in 77 C10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hey guys I'm starting my ls swap soon and im going to tackle the fuel system first. I have stock dual saddles and want to convert to rear tank. I was wondering if anybody has installed a fbody tank before. I tried to Google the dimension but came up empty

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's an odd shaped tank that fits up behind/above the rear axle of the car. I don't see any way that tank could possibly be used in another vehicle for a swap of any kind. Aside from another F-body going back to '82.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you want to convert to rear tank then use a 1987-1991 Suburban tank. Its made for fuel injection. You will need to run a higher PSI pump like the EP381. Keep in mind that you dont need baffles if you have a fuel pump assembly with a bucket.

Rock auto usually lists the dimensions of the tanks they sell so check it out.

Just curious, why do you want to get ride of the dual tanks?

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
well people are telling me it will give me better traction in the rear. Another reason is that it's so hard to fill the gas tank without spilling it onto the side of my truck because of the location of the fill. i have a 77 so it has the older style filler with no fuel door. I do like the design of the 79-87 fuel fill but i have to convert my bed into a 79-87 and the filler. another reason is that i'm running a fitech fuel injection system with a fuel command center. with the command center i bypass my charcoal canister and because of that i bought a vented gas cap, however whenever i drive around alot gas starts pouring out of my gas cap from my driver side tank. Keep in mind i have dual tanks and the driver side gas tank has a bad sending unit or a bad ground since whenever i switch to the driver side, the gas gauge pegs past full. the passenger side is working fine but the driver side is giving me hell.

Last edited:

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i have been reading up on the blazer tanks and also a fuel cell. I really like the fuel cell option but i believe i need to buy an inline pump. Is that correct?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
How often do you plan on driving the truck? I would be more inclined to run a tank made for daily use over a fuel cell. In any case, you can purchase a pump hanger for your fuel cell and run the pump in tank so in line isnt necessary.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ill be driving the truck couple days out of the week. its not daily use. i have my suv as my daily.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
other options are boyds gas tanks which looks nice

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
either way you'll be doing some modifications to your bed. the blazer tank or any rearward tank will need a filler somewhere. I'm with others on their suggestions. get a 1987 tank, sending unit and ep381 pump. in tank oem solutions are ideal.

do you already have the command center? if you do you can use any pump really. the first pump is just getting the fuel to the sump for the command center's high pressure pump to supply the fi tech efi. I think you can use the stock mechanical fuel pump to accomplish this. I'd get the best mechanical block mounted pump I could get and roll with it.

as for the gas splashing out of the vented cap...

that leads me to believe the threads aren't matching up right. be it your existing filler neck or the new cap. my truck has a vented cap, no charcoal canister, and the tanks are essentially the same and I never have slosh related spillage. you need to do a little more digging on this to find a cap that seals better. OR...

if your sender doesn't have a vent you can get the 87 sender. it has 3 nipples. one for supply, one for return and the last is a vent. it should vent all you need. just attach a length of tube and figure out a vent for the end to keep crud from getting inside. then you should be able to forgo the vented cap altogether, as I'm sure the vented cap isn't attractive exposed on the side of your bed. unless of course you found a non-plastic one.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My C10 doesn't have a screw in fuel cap, it's a turn lock cap. Heres a pic of the cap. It was hell to find aa vented gas cap for my truck. I'm not even sure if this is the right one. I do have a brand new mechanical pump already. Not sure if I have a 2 outlet or 3 outlet sender. My charcoal canister has 2 outlet, one for carb and one for vent that runs along the frame rail. My command center vent is hook up to that vent line, unless that's wrong

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
the gas cap i have is a push lock verson

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
im actually selling my fitech setup to my buddy with his 72 c2500 longbed with a 400 big block. i already have my 5.3/4l60e in my backyard, just needs to be rebuild

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I would defer to the command center installation manual on that one. I went in tank for my sniper setup.

if your going LS, I'd start with the fuel system in your truck first. you would still want to go 87 tanks/senders with an in tank fuel pump, I believe. yours is a shorty, so you could go dual 16 saddles or the blazer tank. I haven't done the blazer tank, so I can't speak on that, but there are a lot of threads about it here.

as far as traction, I think it'll be negligible. unless your drag racing, but controlling wheel hop with the right suspension would trump minor weight redistribution via tank relocation.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I put a 25 gallon Blazer tank in my V10. I also did a sump to draw fuel from the bottom of the back. Then I modified my bed and installed a fuel door. I also put the factory gas door holes to good use.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ya i thought about 87 saddle tanks/sender with my factory fill, its really hard to fill the truck up without spilling on the side of the truck. really bad design. I like the 79=87 c10 filler because its angled better and also has a gas door on the side of the bed, however i need to change out the bed that has the gas door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019