87 v10 fuel sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Quick question hopefully;

I have an 87 V10 but the engine is from an 84 and she is carbed. The fuel sending unit is pretty rusty and I'm thinking of replacing it while I replace the fuel line. Should I use a fuel sending unit from an 86 or 87?

It was originally dual 16 gallon tanks but is down to the rh tank. This was all done before I got her but the fuel guage works and fairly accurately.

thanks in advance

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What do you mean it's rusty? If the gauge works and is fairly accurate, I'd be thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That's just my opinion. If it's rusty on the outside, so what. It's exposed to the elements, a new will look the same in a matter of time too. :shrug:

If you do replace, I'd go with the 87. It'll have the provisions for the electric fuel pump for TBI. You know you can put the fuel pump on a toggle switch if you're not using it now, which if you are, you're obviously using a fuel pressure regulator to cut the fuel pressure down to 4-6lbs from 13-15lbs. The E pump is flow through, so you can leave it on a toggle switch. If ever you get in a vapor lock situation, flip the switch and you're off and running. Or if your fuel pump goes bad, you're not stranded cuz you have a back up on a switch.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Quick question hopefully;

I have an 87 V10 but the engine is from an 84 and she is carbed. The fuel sending unit is pretty rusty and I'm thinking of replacing it while I replace the fuel line. Should I use a fuel sending unit from an 86 or 87?

It was originally dual 16 gallon tanks but is down to the rh tank. This was all done before I got her but the fuel guage works and fairly accurately.

thanks in advance

Both are the same diameter so I'd use the '86. Get it from RockAuto, you'll save some money. Don't forget the 5% off promo that can be found in their preferred vendor section. The '87 had a carrier for the fuel pump, and it costs more.

The aforementioned is a good point, though. That's exactly what GM did with their motorhomes in the mid to late 80's. Electric in the back and mechanical on the block.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If ever you get in a vapor lock situation, flip the switch and you're off and running. Or if your fuel pump goes bad, you're not stranded cuz you have a back up on a switch.

Or to feed the afterburner when you need maximum thrust:

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had a valve and E pump on my truck so when I went bike riding I could get gas for the bikes out of the truck tanks. Also cool when you run out of lawnmower gas and able to get some from your truck instead of having to load up the can and go to the gas station.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Guys, thanks for the tips. I'm moving south in a couple weeks so I'm going to take the advice of its not broke; don't fix it..... I want to upgrade the fuel hose but don't want to spend $100 bucks if I have to sell in a couple months :( Not likely as my truck is one of a kind with the Rugby dump kit but a lot is up in the air

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus