87 Truck High steer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoonigan

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hey yall, die hard chevy fan here and gonna have some questions and like to talk about other chevys, anyways blah blah blah ill introduce myslef in another post.

I have a quick quesiton where I could get a high street kit for my 87 chevy, 1 ton / 3/4ton whatever, 8lug 10 bolt front, single stablelizer setup but I want a dual stabalizer setup to but I think I can one from autozone.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if it's not a dana60 with a flat top thing on the PS with 4 bolts to bolt on a hi steer arm then you are in for more work.

only way at this point, is to find some d44 knuckles from a 76 and older chevy, have the ps machined, drilled and tapped for studs and then buy the arm and dom tubing etc.

now there's alot of places for kits or the parts you want or need.

Also you can buy a new knuckle it's like $270 and is already machined drilled and tapped.

so let's see,

wfo concepts,

ruffstuff?

oru or ord I forget which also.

oru is offroad unlimited

ord is off road direct.

Hoonigan

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
if it's not a dana60 with a flat top thing on the PS with 4 bolts to bolt on a hi steer arm then you are in for more work.

only way at this point, is to find some d44 knuckles from a 76 and older chevy, have the ps machined, drilled and tapped for studs and then buy the arm and dom tubing etc.

now there's alot of places for kits or the parts you want or need.

Also you can buy a new knuckle it's like $270 and is already machined drilled and tapped.

so let's see,

wfo concepts,

ruffstuff?

oru or ord I forget which also.

oru is offroad unlimited

ord is off road direct.

Thanks! I dont know what that last part means but I got the first part haha. I dont think its a dana 60 in the front, dana 60s werent 10 bolt.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the last part is websites that have the knuckles, dom tubing to make a drag link, the hi steer arms or just pre made kits for hi steer,

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Off road design's is were I got my part's. You will need a 2wd steering box as well with a pitman arm. You can get everything there if you like. I also got the reid racing knuckle , (beefier than stock) for the passenger side and make sure it matches your driver's side , (tie rod taper , up or down) , you can order it either way.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Click on my pic's if you want to check out the way I went , (early style , tie rod on top , nut on bottom) , higher clearance.

You must be registered for see images attach

rory71

Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
crossover

Did you get back the full turning radius with the crossover setup? I have a 6" lift with raised arm & it sucks! Thanks

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Yes , way better than the raised arm set up

I also went with a frame brace kit from ord as well and now when you turn the steering wheel back and forth when parked there is no flex in the frame at the steering box so it tighten's the steering over all even more and I dont think you will have to worry about the cracked frame problems anymore.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Be sure not to confuse the terms crossover and high steer.

Crossover uses a 2wd steering box and has a drag link running to the passenger side knuckle.

High Steer places the wheel to wheel tie rod above the leaf springs.

The pics posted by hirschdalechevy are good pics of crossover but the tie rod is in the stock position so these are not of high steer.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Good point , when I first got the blazer it had the tie rod above the springs but I was told buy my buddy who own's a shop that with big rubber it stresses the top of the knuckles to much and he has seen them break so I bought a early model drivers side knuckel to match my ried racing passenger side kucklel and put the tie rod back to the stock location

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
Would you guys use the 3 inch steering block with the cross over steering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Would you guys use the 3 inch steering block with the cross over steering

Only if you have to , I had to because I have the 0 rate block in the front and the cross over bar hit the leaf spring , but if I did'nt have that the 1" 0 rate block would not have used the spacer.Look at my pic's and you will see both block's , (the 0 rate and the 3" steering spacer).

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Thanks! I dont know what that last part means but I got the first part haha. I dont think its a dana 60 in the front, dana 60s werent 10 bolt.

Yes, actually a Dana 60 does have 10 cover bolts. Look at where you're steering arm bolts to the knuckle. 3 bolts in an arc is the Dana 44 or 10 bolt (2 different axles, but comparable in strength), if it's 4 bolts in a square pattern, it's a Dana 60

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
I am using the zero rate also so I will install the block

Forum statistics