84/82 K20 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actually it doesn't convert the rust it simply seals it from the air/moisture thus preventing further rusting. And it can only be painted over with self etching primer or POR 15s special self etching epoxy primer. If you try painting over POR 15 with any other paint it will just fall off with absolutely Zero adhesion.

POR 15 recommends using a rust converter first. Then using there marine clean and then metal prep.

http://www.por15.com/Rust-Preventive-Coating_c_11.html

So what does Jasco Prep and Primer do? That stuff is pretty cheap and can be gotten at a local Lowes or maybe even Home Dee Pot.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I dunno never seen or used the stuff. POR 15 once cured is like trying to paint glass.

The other trick is to paint over the POR 15 just as it is almost dry and then both paints bond together. But this can be difficult to do and can mess up the POR 15 if you paint over it to soon.

What is that jasco prep and primer used for ?

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, plans changed again, Came across this GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4 on kijiji tonight owned by a local body shop. Comes with a plow that i'd take off but it has a lift already installed and its actually in pretty good shape. Went and looked at it tonight but going back to look in the day time soon. Looking at scrapping the whole frame swap idea and just fixing this up and driving it instead

Attachments

• truck 1.JPG
    truck 1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 89
  • truck 2.JPG
    truck 2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 68

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Sounds like a good plan cause quite frankly that old frame is pretty rough:)

Don't let that stop you from selling it. maybe keep the axles for spares and try to sell the frame for $1-300

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yea i was looking at it this morning and realised that literally every single bolt on the front end would need to be torched off and replaced and how much stuff needed to be done that i'd be way ahead by scrapping the idea

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just make sure that there are no cracks or bends on the front of that plow truck frame! cause that would suck to find that out later!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IMO its easier to just drill holes and transfer the 4wd brackets on to the c20 frame. No chop chop just bolt bolt.:)

the frame rails are identical from 2wd to 4wd

That is what i originally wanted to do, but everyone else on here said not to because its a complete pain in the ass and not worth the effort

It's all a matter of opinion. If you do the bolt up plan, you'll be so sick of grinding rivets it won't even be funny. Personally, I'd probably have to do the bolt up plan because I don't trust my cut and weld abilities.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It's all a matter of opinion. If you do the bolt up plan, you'll be so sick of grinding rivets it won't even be funny. Personally, I'd probably have to do the bolt up plan because I don't trust my cut and weld abilities.

X2 lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512