84/82 K20 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got to give you credit for doing that out in the snow like that. Determination. :)

yep i'm pretty determined I want to try have it done by the time summer 2015 rolls around or even earlier than that. It's going to be alot of work but ive been out working on it every night now so we'll see how far it gets me. As for the snow, Im one of those people who love snow haha :)

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would love to have a son that filled my garage with projects, I would be proud. I'm all alone in my garage. My girls are growing up and getting less interested in that type of stuff. :(

I can see how that would be! My dad always says that the stuff is in his way, But he's a mechanic and a truck guy too so he always ends up coming out and getting interested in whatever im working on :)

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just finished bringing the frame into the garage

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 61

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ended up with the top and sides of the C channel sanded. Got the frame up on stands with the wheels off as well.

That pile of dirt by the broom? That's not dirt. Its rust that fell off the frame while beating on it with the chipper

Attachments

• frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 70

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nothing like cozied up into the shop and having a tinkering project for the winter! :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lots of work there just to get that frame prepped. Seriously buddy, before I applied anything at all to that frame like a bed liner product or chassis paint, I think I'd certainly hit it first with a coat of Rust Converter. Something like POR15. I hear the stuff goes a long way. You might be able to get the frame done with a quart. Maybe 2 quarts to get everything like the springs and axles.

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info Hot Rod, I'll look into that. Where do you normally buy something like that? I'll search for it later, i'm out hunting right now. Yea 89Suburban you can't beat working on a project :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, do a search for their site and they will have a list of retailers in your area you can buy it, and some mail order are cheaper too. I think Amazon even has it. It's quite pricey but worth it. If you don't want to go with that, at least go with Jasco Prep and Primer first. You can get that at Lowes or Home Depot for about $7 a quart, but I don't think it's an actual rust converter. The POR15 converts the rust into a hard surface ready for paint and kills the rust from growing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Lots of work there just to get that frame prepped. Seriously buddy, before I applied anything at all to that frame like a bed liner product or chassis paint, I think I'd certainly hit it first with a coat of Rust Converter. Something like POR15. I hear the stuff goes a long way. You might be able to get the frame done with a quart. Maybe 2 quarts to get everything like the springs and axles.

I would almost want to sand blast that frame or at the very least use a couple quarts of rust mort and then marine clean and then POR 15

Don't just paint POR15 over that rusty frame. That rust needs to be gone or converted first.

I think you can get a litre of Rust mort for $12 and a Quart of POR 15 for about $50

1 quart of POR 15 will coat your entire frame and a little left for some tank brackets and tow hooks. But I would coat that twice if it were me.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep, do a search for their site and they will have a list of retailers in your area you can buy it, and some mail order are cheaper too. I think Amazon even has it. It's quite pricey but worth it. If you don't want to go with that, at least go with Jasco Prep and Primer first. You can get that at Lowes or Home Depot for about $7 a quart, but I don't think it's an actual rust converter. The POR15 converts the rust into a hard surface ready for paint and kills the rust from growing.

Actually it doesn't convert the rust it simply seals it from the air/moisture thus preventing further rusting. And it can only be painted over with self etching primer or POR 15s special self etching epoxy primer. If you try painting over POR 15 with any other paint it will just fall off with absolutely Zero adhesion.

POR 15 recommends using a rust converter first. Then using there marine clean and then metal prep.

http://www.por15.com/Rust-Preventive-Coating_c_11.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666