79 camaro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
here's my newest project, a 79 camaro that turned out to be an rs. I had 2 build sheets in the glove box for it and found another on the gas tank. I've wanted a late 2nd gen f body for over 15 yrs and finally got one, traded my old 88 4wd for it. I got it in june 2015. The only real things I've done to it was emove what I didn't want or need and sell. It has a bad frame rail in back rest is pretty solid, each lower front fender behind the tire has a small hole I have to cut out and patch. Plans for now are just get it in my garage, tear it down, epoxy prime everything, most likely remove and paint it all, rear end, susp. etc. I have the dark blue metallic from the truck we're going to use unless plans change lol. I also have to get tons of interior pieces, these are all brittle. We plan to do all black inside.

These were the pics from the PO.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I took these after getting it home and cleaning it up on th eoutside...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I already got some new stuff for it, I bought all the z28 side flares and lower chin spoiler, also some fender vents that are 80/81 style just one slit, might get the older style louvers, wife likes them better. Some say it's a z28 clone because of that, I don't I just like the flares and vents, not trying to pawn it off as a z28, just building it for me how I like. I bought a set of older chrome long tubes, they are already on it, exhaust I went with a jegs 2.5 x pipe with cut outs, some thrush welded mufflers for now, and will get taillpipes later. I'm thinking of getting antique plates for it and have it that way to avoid annual inspections and more free play in exhaust setup and window tint etc. The car has no brakes, I ordered a new master cylinder and prop. valve, have to get all new lines and the rest of the brakes, of course new steering and such as well. The car has been off the road since 93 due to brakes, it fired right up no smoke no knocks nothing, but carb was a rebuilt quadrajet that was leaking around the accelerator pump so I put on my edelbrock for now.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Looks like you've got some work ahead of you :) Reminds me a '78 Z28 I had a chance to get when I was 18 for my first ride. To this day I regret not pulling the trigger!! I decided not to cuz my insurance company said they'd cancel me so I ended up not buying it :( Car was a sweet car too. No rust but did burn just a little oil at the time.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Good score bubba, I'm wondering if I'm the only one thinking this... put the body on a K5 frame! :cheers: Take your time and don't lose interest and you'll be cruising it before you know it!

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
nice find. I have a 70 firebird I'm getting ready to do. got to finish the 74 first. thinking satin black, with black interior, and either a 6 speed or a gv behind a Muncie. ought to keep me busy and broke for a while. lol

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I would check the vin to verify the status. BEFORE I start putting Z parts, on a true RS. DON'T get me wrong it's a nice looking car and all, but 3 build sheets?, incorrect parts, wrong paint scheme, and no power windows or locks?! I hope it's a true RS, IF not I hope u didn't pay the RS premium prices. Depending on options, colors, etc. And how far you can break it down , could be worth more.. verify the vin, you may have more than you know.

If , you are unaware. The RS Camaro, is the same as a Z28, w/o all the body mods.

Eta. Not to be sounding harsh or anything, I came from the camaro world, just hate to see someone taken advantage of. Pay extra attention to the rear window and quarter, as these are known areas for hidden rust issues. Great looking car either way.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yes it's an rs, and it doesn't matter. I'm not building it to sale or for someone else it's being built for me. If I do end up having to get rid of it later then the next owner can have the build sheets, and change everything to the correct light blue inside and out.

I didn't pay anything for it, I traded a 88 chevy 4wd with a reconstructed title, bad transmission and unknown mileage 4.3 in it for this car.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always thought the late 70's RS was just a neat looking stripe and paint option, nothing more. It got the Z28 suspension too?

I also agree, build what you want. Ain't nothing wrong with a clone at all, so long as it's always represented as a clone.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I always thought the late 70's RS was just a neat looking stripe and paint option, nothing more. It got the Z28 suspension too?

I also agree, build what you want. Ain't nothing wrong with a clone at all, so long as it's always represented as a clone.

Not exactly, in 78 the Rally Sport became it's own model , just as an Lt, or Z28. If you search and look, you will see, the Rally Sport of the 70s, is an RS, It is spelled out. They were basically Z28s in disguise. Since previously RS was just an option package.

So in a sense, the were Z28s, w special paint scheme, fully loaded, most sought after next the the Z.

Side note.... Less Rally Sports were produced in 78 than Z28s. The Rally Sport carried on as a model of its own until the third gen, when it when back to being an option package.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea mines not going to be called a clone, not trying to make it one just putting on the z28 parts I think look good one em. Mines also not represented as an rs anywhere on it's build sheet or title. I found the z85 prnted on the build sheets and found it online, then found it has the f41 susp as well with a 3.08 posi. Mines not fully loaded though, it's manual windows and locks, no ac, no tilt, but did have cruise. It also has deluxe interior from what I gather

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looking forward to see where this project goes, it's a great car to have as a starting point!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I still have to get pics, but I finally got this in the garage and started tearing it down. I got my s10 v8 project mostly thrown together over the last week or two then pushed it out and pushed the camaro in yesterday, and tore down some front end today.

HUGE difference, this thing weighs tons more then my s10, harder to push, alot longer and a ton more bolts to remove lol.

I got both inner and outer fenders off, the front bumper cover and inner structures and the hood, battery tray was shot and ate up some inner fender bolts around it, may be buying a new Ps inner, we'll have to wait and see.

I honestly did not think a 79 would have metric bolts, but every ground wire was 10mm head bolts and the overflow and washer jug bolts were 10mm heads.

I also never ran into 12 point bolts either, I've had sockets for years but never found a 12 point bolt lol, this one had 3 so far on the front nose.

Next up is doors, remove inner fender from outers, radiator support, interior and rear end. Then I'm going to try and remove the subframe with engine trans on it, then completely tear that down, paint etc.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
sweet
I love the 78 to 81 Camaro. I wanted a t top 4 speed car but all I could find is a automatic non t top car. so I converted it to 4 speed and cut the roof off a t top trans am to swap on my 79 Z28 some day.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 158

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Dang, you guys. I'm missing my 78 Ralley Sport now. I shouldn't have ever sold that car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31