New Bitchin Camaro…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pursuant to my thread about the fail on the yellow truck….found this gem a couple days ago.
65k miles, a bout as clean/new looking and running as any 24 year old car can be unless it was literally mothballed since new.
Never cared much for them back in the day, but now they’re almost “classic”. However, the real reason it got bought is for commuter duty. Gas prices can’t seem to control themselves. Especially here. I know the 3800/5speed is a pretty dead reliable combo and the rest of the car is simple. And mostly, 25-30mpg *** or Korean shitboxes with double the miles sell for more than this beauty cost and they’re far more embarrassing to be seen in, lol.
Total base model car. Only option likely is AC. No cruise, no power seats and roll yer own windows and locks.
Love it. Although the newest snackwagon is gonna need a new home here in a month once the older boy heads back to school.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes it’s a little saggy on the L side. Sounds and looks like the RF strut is pooched. They do have struts, correct?

Note it’s not as bad as it looks. Driveway slopes that way too in that pic.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One of the kids rescued the wheel cap sticker, it was about to fall off when we were looking at it….
Otherwise 1 turn signal bulb, done, and what I think is a new strut needed is ALL it needs.
I’ll run through all the fluids too, just because most of em could be from 1999…

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm betting it could use front springs.

Pretty cool car though. For some reason, I like the complete base models just as much as the loaded ones. There were probably far more cars with options than there were strippers.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm betting it could use front springs.

Pretty cool car though. For some reason, I like the complete base models just as much as the loaded ones. There were probably far more cars with options than there were strippers.
The front are coil over strut, correct? The whole right side is an inch or so lower, front and back. I haven’t even taken a wheel off yet. Spring doesn’t feel sacked but I can hear the front strut make a little squishy sound when I bounce it.
Car handles, well, like brand new so idk.
Did some reading and more than a few reports that some of these cars are leaners….and a whole host of ways to try to level them up and half dozen theories about how the battery and spare make the passenger side sag….not buying that.
But our old 06 SRT was similar. Bought used about the same miles, mint, no accidents. New struts didn’t change it.
I’ll get it in the air sometime and have a look. But it drives perfect…idk.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That drive train is pretty much bullet proof and simple to diagnose and work on, steel timing chain versus a doomed belt. My 3800 Bonneville is going strong at nearly 300k and it’s been amazingly reliable and inexpensive to drive.

3800pro has some good info and smarties too.

Great find, drive it!

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Buddy in HS and college had a '97, the one right before this with the "beak" nose with the 3800/auto. Was dead reliable and he beat the snot out of the car for about 10 years. His mom still has it and it's had minimal issues

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Pursuant to my thread about the fail on the yellow truck….found this gem a couple days ago.
65k miles, a bout as clean/
That's got a V6 right?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh, I guess I should have used my context clues instead of asking a stupid question.

Forgive me guys!!
Yup, no worries.
She’s a nice rig. Needs nothing. Biggest dilemma besides the little sag is
A. No one makes OE replacement driving lights. But miraculously this thing has some 20 year old looking rusty driving lights t tapped into the headlights (lol) and they both work. Kid was arguing w me about the driving lights he saw on the way home (he was driving the truck) and I thought he was delusional. But they both work…just worthless for output.
Good headlights are needed more here than probably anywhere we’ve lived, save for AK. Endless hours of driving in the dark AND rain, daily.
Before winter it’ll get some good headlight bulbs.
B. Same deal with floor mats. It don’t have any and the carpet is like new, even drivers side. And all I see are obviously any sort of cheap rubber universal mat, which will fit horribly on the contoured floor boards, or a smattering of $100-200 “custom” carpeted embroidered mats…damn.

Yup, hope is this is a dead reliable good mileage commuter car for a long time. For less $ than a clapped out Honda Accord….

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8

New ACC 4-PC Black Floor Mat Set For 93-02 Camaro Cutpile Carpet w/Gold Logo GM​

• parts-pros (150639)
  • 99% positive feedback

$219.99
Free shipping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507