78 Jimmy steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowtpi1989

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So I finally got the Jimmy rewired and running. I finally went to take it out and the steering is way off. The wheels go where ever they want to go. The steering wheel is really lose and hardly points the way the wheels are going. Everything under the truck looks tight. I am new to 4x4s having only mess with Camaros and Mustangs. Does anyone have any ideas I can check. Thank you for the help.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
The frames can crack where the gear box mounts, the rag joints wear out, tie rod ends and ball joints. Have someone move the steering wheel while you watch the stuff move, sometimes if a few components are only a little worn out they can add up to a lot of movement.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Exactly what Phil mentioned but I figured I would ask if there is popping noises coming from the front end when you turn. the link that goes from the steering box to the steering knuckle usually gets hammered before anything, mine was so bad I could barely keep my 85 between the lines. If you cant see anything moving on your tie rod or any of that stuff check that rubber rag joint on the steering shaft. If all that looks good you can adjust the steering box a little bit to get rid of slack using a allen wrench and open end box wrench. Be carefull with this one, I got it too tight on a friends truck and it was one wild ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wootensan