Steering box/ hydro boost issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemo

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I recently replaced all the seals in the steering box on my 1977 K30. I am not a professional mechanic, but I feel that I did my due diligence in researching the project before I started. After I installed it and bled the system (I may have screwed up by bleeding it with the engine running instead of having the engine off) the wheels started drifting to the right.

Every time I’d turn it back to the right, it would slowly turn to the right, full stop. I set it on the ground and the weight of the truck held the steering box from turning by itself.

I took it for a short test drive and noticed that as I turned left it was like there is no power assist, but turning right was effortless.

After I had made a couple of stops, the right front brake started locking up. Even with the most minimal of pressure on the pedal. Needless to say the test drive was over.

I’m having a hard time finding any troubleshooting for the issues I’m having and am hoping that I can get some help here.

Thank you

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Did you completely disassemble the gear box? If so did the pressure tube on the inside of the box get put back in the correct position? Or the hard seal on the shaft side get pinched? The only other thing I can think of is, Did you remove the steering arm? Maybe it didn't get clocked correct?

Nemo

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yes, I did disassemble it completely and I triple checked everything as I put it back together. I do know that I got the steering arm put back on right, the truck has its full steering range.

I’m sure that I’ve messed up somewhere along the way, otherwise it wouldn’t have been steering itself. I worry that whatever I did wrong has impacted the function of the hydro boost unit too. (Because of the brake locking up)

Do you of any tests to check the hydro boost? I’m not opposed to getting a new steering box or replacing the brake caliper, but I’d like to narrow down the issue before I start replacing parts.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How long has the truck been sitting, is the brake issue new? I believe you have 2 unrelated issues. The booster will not cause unequal side to side braking. Probably needs calipers.

Box sounds like a possible spool valve problem or a PS line crossed? Spool valve is not a DIY repair.

Don't make a big deal out of bleeding of the PS system. Fill the reservoir, start the vehicle, turn the wheels, refill, shut off, let it sit for the air to vent. May need to do it a couple times. Drive and recheck level.

Nemo

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
fast 99,

The truck sat for quite a long time before it came to me. I’ve been slowly going through it as time and money allows. The brake is a new issue and I’m really not surprised that the caliper has gone bad.

It sounds like I’m out of my league trying to replace the seals in the steering box. I thought it looked like something I could do and I always like learning something new.

I’m glad that bleeding the PS system isn’t as big of an issue as I thought I’d was.

Looks like I’m off to the parts store for new calipers and eventually a professionally rebuilt box.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It could be a piece of dirt got inside, it happens. We've had lots of issues with rebuilt boxes from regular parts stores, try Red head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005