78 C10 Fuel sending unit wire routing

Discussion in 'Gauge, Speedo & Instrumentation' started by Speed2acer, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Speed2acer

Speed2acer Junior Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Checy C10 Cheyenne
    Engine Size:
    Does anyone know how the fuel sending unit wire is routed? I bought a project truck and have been successful wiring everything except that darn thing, the kid that had the truck before me had Mickey Moused so much of the wiring that I basically started from scratch. Of course the one wire that I didn't even think of was the sending unit which was clipped about two feet from the tank. I'd prefer to repair the lead at the harness rather than run a separate feed. The wire I found is a tan wire and every post I have seen rewiring states a pink wire lead from the sending unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. RustyPile

RustyPile Full Access Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Truck Year:
    1983 GMC
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    350 SBC
    You didn't state the location of the tan wire you found, so I'm not sure what it goes to.. Tan is found in various circuits, one of which is the wire going to the oil pressure sending unit. The closest color to tan in the rear harness is brown.. That's the color of the tail light wire(s).. Pink is the color of the wire going from the tank sending unit to the instrument cluster plug under the dash.. It runs from the main bulkhead (firewall) connector down the firewall and along the left frame rail, located in the bundle with all the other wires.. It exits the harness near the rear of the cab..

Instead of pulling your hair out trying to fix the mess created by the PO, why not just raid one from a junk yard??

3. Speed2acer

Speed2acer Junior Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Checy C10 Cheyenne
    Engine Size:
    Thanks for the response. The lead comes from the fuel sending unit. Due to the age and deterioration the best I can describe the color is milky tan.