75 454 Holley issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, that's the same as a 3310 simple as can be..

541joseph

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Ok, that's the same as a 3310 simple as can be..
I just don't understand how it can be running so fat at idle. Here's some of the plugs after running for no more than 5 or so min.

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I told ya, you have an internal leak, what's your vacuum at idle???, check that against the PV..

541joseph

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
With my carter afb I'm running 15 hg-in which means Ive got a leak or timing is off. Still trying to chase mice out of it so I can start repairing the heater vacuum lines

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Check it again and check the # of PV see if it's holding it closed at idle.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I've got a carter afb on the truck right now
I'm confused.. You're showing us pictures of the plugs in the engine. If the carburetor that's on it now is flooding, why are we talking about a Holley power valve being the problem???

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm confused.. You're showing us pictures of the plugs in the engine. If the carburetor that's on it now is flooding, why are we talking about a Holley power valve being the problem???
The way I understand it, he had the Holley on it and it was running like **** so he put the AFB back on until he figures out the Holley, but I could be way off too, lol..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The way I understand it, he had the Holley on it and it was running like **** so he put the AFB back on until he figures out the Holley, but I could be way off too, lol..
A true original Carter AFB is very, very old.. I'm surprised there's one out there that still works.. So the plugs where taken out when the Holley was still on the engine... OK, thanks for clearing that up for me..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thermoquad!!!!!!! LMMFAO plastic carb.......what could go wrong, right?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just don't understand how it can be running so fat at idle. Here's some of the plugs after running for no more than 5 or so min.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a honest attempt to help. Try tossing in some Autolite 26 or 27's to begin with. (Or whatever they cross to in AC). The cheap stuff. Not that platinum or whatever...

If they foul again, you can easily hit them with sandpaper and carb cleaner, and put them back in. The hotter plug should help out too....

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Nothing compares to Ford's variable venturi carb.. That thing gave a whole new meaning to the term "a piece of ****".. I think Ford new what they had before it made it to production.. The carb was discontinued only after a couple years or so..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Nothing compares to Ford's variable venturi carb.. That thing gave a whole new meaning to the term "a piece of ****".. I think Ford new what they had before it made it to production.. The carb was discontinued only after a couple years or so..
Isn’t that with Ford engineering period?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You know, my neighbor has one of those. I'm gonna get it from him. (He already offered it for free, and I declined. Lol). That could be worth some bucks to a restorer down the road. Don't suppose they came on Mustangs? Probably a Granada or something like that...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20