70s Propane/Turbo conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just saw a very unique truck for sale. (Also very clean…) it’s a 76 K10. Very original looking. Owner claims the LP conversion and turbo was done when the truck was new.
Anyone seen this before? Any idea what kind of power it makes?
Looks very interesting.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah and it looks VERY clean. Can’t tell by the add, I think the paint may be shiny because it’s wet, but it has been repainted and the original trim has been shaved.
But whoever had it repainted, was a while ago although they spent some $ on the paint. From filling all the trim holes to painted pinstripes. It wasn’t a backwoods Rustoleum rebuild.
Other than the deep dish steelies and the 80s trim it looks 100% original and has all the right pics showing zero rust.
To say I’m interested is an understatement.
I mean who has a 76K10 LP turbo? Lol
Asking price is not a steal but not a “I know what I got” price either although imo the LP conversion isn’t adding to the value, but if it all works good and actually has some power?

The Gramper has to go although would make a good period correct piece for the 86….but looks like the LP tank is a bit too tall to hide with a tonneau cover.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Unlike most things I’ve found zero on the inner webs about this conversion and turbo thingy.
Waiting for some of the old salt here to show up with their squarebody wisdom.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm salty....seen my share of LP trucks through the years but never seen or heard of this setup.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Man, that thing is nice! I'd love to pick that up, I'd leave the Gramper and all. Am definitely curious to see if anyone knows anything, I've seen a few LP conversions too but never with a hair drier

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Man, that thing is nice! I'd love to pick that up, I'd leave the Gramper and all. Am definitely curious to see if anyone knows anything, I've seen a few LP conversions too but never with a hair drier
Right? My thoughts exactly. LP convo is nothing new but the spinny thing…
I want to go look at this one. Only an hour away.
Hell I’ll buy it for ya if you want (if it’s good).
It won’t get a garage slot though. Just jockeyed **** around so I can get everything indoors except the kid’s crash wagon.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I've never seen that combo either. Is that a 6 cylinder of a small block?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never seen that combo either. Is that a 6 cylinder of a small block?
Says 350 engine. But with you mentioning that I did see a search hit about this type of combo on a straight 6. But it went to some jibberish link.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've read in the past about a company that sold turbo kits back in the late 70's and early 80's, but the name of the company escapes me.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Neat truck, no doubt. Having done a ton of work on numerous propane powered items, I just can't think of a simple solution to increase the amount of fuel when boosted. I suspect the boost made is minimal
A negotiation point is going to be the propane tank in the bed and if it's still certified, they are not supposed to filled them when out of date.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I've read in the past about a company that sold turbo kits back in the late 70's and early 80's, but the name of the company escapes me.
Shelby Spearco:

Ack Miller Turbocharges also sold kits.

B&M had a small block Chevy kit. That one worked different than most others. It came with an intake manifold that had a flapper valve inside. Cruising, the flapper valve directed the air fuel mix right from the carb to the engine. When you mashed the throttle the valve shifted the air/fuel flow through the turbo, then back into the engine. A buddy of mine had one, it didn't work as well as my Spearco kit.

A negotiation point is going to be the propane tank in the bed and if it's still certified, they are not supposed to filled them when out of date.

Yes this is correct.

Unlike most things I’ve found zero on the inner webs about this conversion and turbo thingy.
Waiting for some of the old salt here to show up with their squarebody wisdom.

Old salt, that would be me. I think you should buy it, snails are neat! Free horsepower.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl yeah I know. It’s a neat truck.
Well you nailed it. It’s probably some variation of one of those kits. Plumbing looks different due to the LP setup

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Neat truck, no doubt. Having done a ton of work on numerous propane powered items, I just can't think of a simple solution to increase the amount of fuel when boosted. I suspect the boost made is minimal
Yeah good point. I can’t imagine it being any sort of long term solution but I’d want to run it for a while if it runs good just because it would be the only thing like it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shelby Spearco:

Ack Miller Turbocharges also sold kits.

B&M had a small block Chevy kit. That one worked different than most others. It came with an intake manifold that had a flapper valve inside. Cruising, the flapper valve directed the air fuel mix right from the carb to the engine. When you mashed the throttle the valve shifted the air/fuel flow through the turbo, then back into the engine. A buddy of mine had one, it didn't work as well as my Spearco kit.

Yes this is correct.

Old salt, that would be me. I think you should buy it, snails are neat! Free horsepower.

Oddly, none of those were the name I was thinking of. It will come to me at some point. Eventually, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY