700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i think i would jack the truck up in air with jack stands under the axles, under both axle if possible.check to see if the truck does have the drive-shafts under it,and if connected are they turning the wheels,you might have the front axles only pulling(front wheel drive) ,had that happen one time when i blew out a rearend.also allow you to isolate if a transfercase issue by seeing what wheels are turning.you can put in gear with the wheels in air and let it idle,then walk around and see what turning.

83K20

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
i think i would jack the truck up in air with jack stands under the axles, under both axle if possible.check to see if the truck does have the drive-shafts under it,and if connected are they turning the wheels,you might have the front axles only pulling(front wheel drive) ,had that happen one time when i blew out a rearend.also allow you to isolate if a transfercase issue by seeing what wheels are turning.you can put in gear with the wheels in air and let it idle,then walk around and see what turning.

I did that but I only did the rear not the front

83K20

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
I also changed the fluid in the rear end and checked the gears in it and they looked ok

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Do like Kleedus said and disconnect the shifter linkage at shifter side. It is just a cotter pin. Pull the linkage apart and push pull with the remaining linkage. Push all the ways back for 2wd one forward from that is 4H one more forward is neutral and all the way forward is 4L.

To adjust properly put the transfer case in 4H, put the shifter in the cab in 4H go underneath and adjust the adjuster swivel until you can just slide it right together easy peasy. Might have to double check the floor shifter is still in the 4H position through out the process.

when you have it adjusted just so, then back off the rear nut 1/8- 3/16 of an inch and push the swivel back to that and tighten the forward nut down to that position.