700R4 worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Switching to a 350 turbo, was going to put the 700r4 on craigslist, are they worth anything? 84 K10, it shifts good, don't know the miles, just thought I could get back some $$ for the swap. Would a couple hundred be to much, or should I just not bother. I hear the 84 is a real weak trans.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
where you at in KY I'm in Wv and like you already know I need one. I'm like 30 minutes from south williamson. We do travel thru ky 9 and ky7 on AA highway going to cincinnatic once every 6 months, be doing so again in end of april beginning of may.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Switching to a 350 turbo, was going to put the 700r4 on craigslist, are they worth anything? 84 K10, it shifts good, don't know the miles, just thought I could get back some $$ for the swap. Would a couple hundred be to much, or should I just not bother. I hear the 84 is a real weak trans.

My 700r4 just recently lost 3-4 gear, I was planning on having it rebuilt for about $600-700. I understand they are stronger rebuilt. Still, I wouldn't mind a spare, if the other guy doesn't want it. I live in Alabama.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check to make sure it is not a later year trans that has been swapped at some point of time. It is just about worthless to me if older year, but they do sell for $200-$300 in used shape.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I had one that worked came out of my 88 and I liked to never got $50 out of it. It was 4wd trans too, the local trans guy said he throws em away when he gets em. I thought, wow. Local guy had one for sale awhile back wanted 225 for it and transfer case together. I think he got less.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
They are asking me anywhere from $150 to $250 for a used tail housing for a 208 transfer case.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you don't already have the tail housing and 208 case adapter? it's nothing more then an adapter I've got one, if they go for that much I might as well sale mine, and the case then go buy a trans and t-case combo for mine.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My 700r4 just recently lost 3-4 gear, I was planning on having it rebuilt for about $600-700. I understand they are stronger rebuilt. Still, I wouldn't mind a spare, if the other guy doesn't want it. I live in Alabama.

If you want it stronger, I'd put a shift kit in it. That'll improve the shift points, which will reduce slippage, which will reduce wear. There are varying opinions on those so I'd research them and read reviews. Yours is an '87, which is fine to rebuild. Some say '87+ and some say '88+ are the good ones. The general consensus is that pre-'87's are a waste of time. This is an R10, right? I've got an '86 700R4 in a B-body with 247,000 miles and no rebuild. I feel like my reverse band will go out sooner rather than later, but it's still smooth shifting.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, the 82, 83 and 84 year model units are the worst to have. If it works properly now, being sold with the working matching torque converter it's worth at least something.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You'd prefer to avoid this one since you already probably have a 87 or later core. Sounds like yours lost the 3/4 clutch pack. Very possibly due to an improper adjusted TV cable. :shrug:

Whoever you have build it, I'd suggest seeing if they'd go with the Commercial Alto 3/4 clutch pack. Some also like the Z Pack for the 3/4 clutch pack. The Commercial Alto 3/4 pack makes more sense to me.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you want it stronger, I'd put a shift kit in it. That'll improve the shift points, which will reduce slippage, which will reduce wear. There are varying opinions on those so I'd research them and read reviews. Yours is an '87, which is fine to rebuild. Some say '87+ and some say '88+ are the good ones. The general consensus is that pre-'87's are a waste of time. This is an R10, right? I've got an '86 700R4 in a B-body with 247,000 miles and no rebuild. I feel like my reverse band will go out sooner rather than later, but it's still smooth shifting.

This is indeed an R10, the engine has been rebuilt multiple times, and PO had one of those "Torque Converter Lock Out" things installed for better economy.

The shop I talked to had said they would put a shift kit in it as part of the rebuild. I was referred to this shop in particular by my mechanic, it's the one he uses.

You'd prefer to avoid this one since you already probably have a 87 or later core. Sounds like yours lost the 3/4 clutch pack. Very possibly due to an improper adjusted TV cable. :shrug:

Whoever you have build it, I'd suggest seeing if they'd go with the Commercial Alto 3/4 clutch pack. Some also like the Z Pack for the 3/4 clutch pack. The Commercial Alto 3/4 pack makes more sense to me.

Alright, so thanks for letting me know this is not a good transmission for me. Betting the increased torque and HP on my engine contributed to the demise of my 700r4.

I will ask the shop what clutch pack they will be using. If I am not up to pulling the transmission myself (I don't currently have a good place to do it), The grand total on the repair/rebuild and removal/installation is right about $1100. Cheapest price, of the 3 shops I talked to, and from the shop my mechanic (And a buddy of mine at work) recommend.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is indeed an R10, the engine has been rebuilt multiple times, and PO had one of those "Torque Converter Lock Out" things installed for better economy.

The shop I talked to had said they would put a shift kit in it as part of the rebuild. I was referred to this shop in particular by my mechanic, it's the one he uses.

I gotcha. Do you mean the torque converter lockup? Your truck came with that. It does increase fuel economy by creating a more direct connection and response between the engine and the input shaft. It sounds like if everything goes well, you'll have a stronger, better transmission in your ride.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
I gotcha. Do you mean the torque converter lockup? Your truck came with that. It does increase fuel economy by creating a more direct connection and response between the engine and the input shaft. It sounds like if everything goes well, you'll have a stronger, better transmission in your ride.

LOL, yes. Exactly what I mean. The little dial that allows me to pick the speed that the Torque Converter locks up at doesn't look a bit stock, nor how it is wired into my fusebox.

Sounds pretty awesome. I have been driving it as a primary vehicle for a good solid 2 years since I pried it away from my brother, and this is the first actual money that it has wanted me to spend on it. Not a bit of rust on this thing end to end, but it's from Georgia, so.. expected.

I plan on having her back on the road properly again in a few months, makes me feel better about that rebuild. Pretty sure the transmission is the original for the 87 R10. Folks have looked before and confirmed, even.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
LOL, yes. Exactly what I mean. The little dial that allows me to pick the speed that the Torque Converter locks up at doesn't look a bit stock, nor how it is wired into my fusebox.

Sounds pretty awesome. I have been driving it as a primary vehicle for a good solid 2 years since I pried it away from my brother, and this is the first actual money that it has wanted me to spend on it. Not a bit of rust on this thing end to end, but it's from Georgia, so.. expected.

I plan on having her back on the road properly again in a few months, makes me feel better about that rebuild. Pretty sure the transmission is the original for the 87 R10. Folks have looked before and confirmed, even.

Strange. That is supposed to be mediated and controlled by the ECM in your truck. It's foolproof unless it's unplugged, a wire's broken, or the solenoid gives out. If you want to make it automatic again, you can check the pin out for a 7747 ECM, find the corresponding wires, and either trace and rewire or rewire directly. The more common manual-electric lockup switches that I've seen were just a switch. I've never seen one with a dial. Otherwise, it sounds like a really solid, dependable truck.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17245&highlight=Manual+lockup+switch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebrwalk5