700r4 shift points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Under light throttle transmission shifts early, like 1500, end up lugging the engine in 4th
Under wot only shifts at 2800-3000.

I don't think this is normal, where do i start looking?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Adjust your detent(TV) cable. I messed around for 10 days with mine, before I found the sweet spot. Tire size, gear ratio change, bad cable, and burnt fluid will throw it off Q.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I have tried, but if i push it in so it shifts better it will pull back out under wot.

Could it be the 31" tires? I will be putting smaller tires on next week.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I have tried, but if i push it in so it shifts better it will pull back out under wot.

Could it be the 31" tires? I will be putting smaller tires on next week.

I don't think 31" tires will throw it off, sounds to me that your cable isn't locking-in the setting, if it pulls out on WOT. I'd replace the cable, they're like 18-25 bucks, or, I've seen guys put hose clamps on it, or something that will keep it stationary if its slipping. But one thing is for sure, you gotta fix it, a bad setting can burn up that 700r4. Ask HotRod, he's a Guru on this ****.
By any chance, have you recently changed the transmission fluid? I ask because when I put fresh fluid in, it took my detent cable setting out of whack also. New fluid more pressure, I think. Without a pressure gauge, its a pain in the ass to get it dialed in perfectly, but it can be done. You Gotta set it, short drive, reset it, short drive, reset it, short drive etc., one click at a time, until you find her spot.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I don't think 31" tires will throw it off, sounds to me that your cable isn't locking-in the setting, if it pulls out on WOT. I'd replace the cable, they're like 18-25 bucks, or, I've seen guys put hose clamps on it, or something that will keep it stationary if its slipping. But one thing is for sure, you gotta fix it, a bad setting can burn up that 700r4. Ask HotRod, he's a Guru on this ****.
By any chance, have you recently changed the transmission fluid? I ask because when I put fresh fluid in, it took my detent cable setting out of whack also. New fluid more pressure, I think. Without a pressure gauge, its a pain in the ass to get it dialed in perfectly, but it can be done. You Gotta set it, short drive, reset it, short drive, reset it, short drive etc., one click at a time, until you find her spot.

But then again, when you initially set the cable, it will ratchet out for the initial adjustment on WOT, then you make fine tune adjustments to it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Val is right.

GM says adjust at the carburetor manually by hand. When adjusting it and you have it cranked by hand to WOT the cable should be taught.

GM also says that it does not matter who or how your transmission was rebuilt they must all be adjusted the same.

Also when you have adjusted it you should see at least one ratchet notch sticking out of the slider if you do not you need to remedy the situation by installing the correct cable or adjusting the bracket further away from the carb or installing a bracket that fits your application.

Also the cable needs to be parallel to the base of the carburetor and square. So not working from any kind of angle.

And if your not running a qaudjet you will need a geometry correction bracket installed onto your throttle linkage on the carb.

To adjust push in the adjusting tab and at the same time push the slider all the ways into the cable. Then release the adjusting tab and manually turn by hand the throttle to WOT. Ensure the TV cable is taught. Release making sure the throttle returns all the way to the closed/idle position and it is adjusted.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I'm running the stock qjet, new cable (original was frayed), new fluid and filter when I put on new cable.
New cable measured up to be the same size as the original, I didn't get the adjustable type (b&m I think). The only adjustment is the slider part.

I adjusted the way madogre posted. It just hasn't seemed right. If I push it back in a few clicks it just pulls back out again. Is it not supposed to work that way?

Also the little slider around my throttle cable gets stuck occasionally, probably should fix that too. I enjoy working on the truck, but years of neglect from POs has has it's toll I think

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm running the stock qjet, new cable (original was frayed), new fluid and filter when I put on new cable.
New cable measured up to be the same size as the original, I didn't get the adjustable type (b&m I think). The only adjustment is the slider part.

I adjusted the way madogre posted. It just hasn't seemed right. If I push it back in a few clicks it just pulls back out again. Is it not supposed to work that way?

Also the little slider around my throttle cable gets stuck occasionally, probably should fix that too. I enjoy working on the truck, but years of neglect from POs has has it's toll I think

Sounds like a defective cable

The b&m type are adjustable in that you can change the overall length of the cable but it doesn't really matter how long your cable is as long as it is adjusted properly at the carb. Just like the ridiculous after market throttle cables they give us now.

No it shouldn't slide once you have adjusted it. But now that I think about it im not sure. I believe the idea is to keep the cable from being to long and obviously if adjusted properly will ensure that it is not to short.

Would be nice to have some more feed back on that question

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Yes because maybe my cable is OK. Huge pita to swap it for no reason.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes because maybe my cable is OK. Huge pita to swap it for no reason.

I would just phone GM if I were you.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I would just phone GM if I were you.
ha!

but seriously if my cable is adjusting properly, why go through the hassle of changing it out?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
i think my cable is working properly
http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
Shortening the Cable : If you shorten the cable (move it towards the adjuster tab), this raises both one pressure and shift point. However, when the drive performs a full throttle downshift the TV cable will readjust to its approximate normal position.
i don't think i have it routed the same way as factory though, will check that for binding

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Could my governor be bad?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is there a locking tab on your tv cable?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Other than the button not that I know of