700r4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I had a 700r4 built for my 82 shifted fine
loved the OD since then (6 months later) I installed a 383 changed the rear gears (373).
Well I took it for a lil spin and what I found is trans shifts 123 fast and by 20 mph im in 3rd and no OD , driving 60 mph motor is spinning 3000rpms
Nothing about the trans has changed still has 2500 stall and the lock-up is still hooked-up TV cable is adjusted correctly of course .
Anyone have a clue ?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Shifting early would indicate tv adjustment or the governer. Was the lock up connected before? No rpm change when shifting between od and 3rd?

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
yes the lock up was connected before and the trans shifted fine nice and firm the way it was supposed to .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd agree, shifting to early, would seem to not have enough throttle pull on the TV cable to tell the trans to drag the shift points out. Careful with that too, as the TV regulates fluid pressure also. If it's not detecting half and full throttle, it will NOT raise the fluid pressure as needed and cause clutches slipping and overheat and a dead transmission in short order.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
need more details on how you had it connected before and what has changed with the new motor. Carb/linkage used/vacuum solenoid for lockup vs ecm/ speedo correct or not/ etc...
More than likely the builder wired the lockup to kick in as soon as 4th gear is archived using the 4th gear pressure switch if no computer or other means are used for it. Carb linkage would be the next item for the tv control to be correct.

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I readjusted TV cable with no difference .
More than likely just get a 350 rebuilt and not worry about an overdrive

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
need more details on how you had it connected before and what has changed with the new motor. Carb/linkage used/vacuum solenoid for lockup vs ecm/ speedo correct or not/ etc...
More than likely the builder wired the lockup to kick in as soon as 4th gear is archived using the 4th gear pressure switch if no computer or other means are used for it. Carb linkage would be the next item for the tv control to be correct.
It was and still is connected to holley carb with tci linkage bracket and TV cable corrector . Your correct about the 4th gear lock up

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I would try to just manually pullung the cable all the way out and securing with zip ties. This would make it shift around 3-5k rpm all the time. If it does not, check the govern. Also can put a pressure gauge on the test port and monitor tv operation

Last edited:

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Im willing to try just about anything right now

Bouncy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Just a lil update ,
I re calibrated the governor got it to shift better , but still no 4th gear and overdrive .
What I forgot to mention before was I also changed the pan , I havnt been able to check it but I believe the bleed hole on the pan rail JUST MIGHT BE BLOCKED by the aftermarket gasket and or pan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxracing254