6.0L Fuel system question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jukes14

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.0L
Hey guys 6.0L swap into my 87 V20. I have a brand new 87 fuel tank, and brand new 87 fuel sending unit with the 3 outlets. I also have the bosch equivalent of the AC Delco EP381 fuel pump. My intake has a send and return line. I have added a photo hopefully it uploads okay. My question is can someone link me a picture and part number of what regulator/fuel filter i need? Just a little confused as i see most who post on here have a single fuel line on their intake. So i just need to know what exactly i do need. Besides all the -6 AN fittings and braided line. Do i need anything else to complete my fuel system. I take it i need to order the 6pin selector valve from LMC truck, or is that not required? Any insight and helpful info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers from Canada!

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 174

Jukes14

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.0L
I guess I didn't do my research, so my regulator is in my fuel rail. So I should be putting a fuel filter inline somewhere? And does anyone have a certain fuel filter they would recommend / Part #

Thanks guys

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you're using the factory fuel lines, the spot where your filter is now should be fine, and the type of filter you're using now should also be fine. My mom's '02 Burb uses the weird filter threaded on one side that requires a filter removal tool to disconnect the other side, but when I searched for her filter, one of the options that came up was the same filter that I put on my Jimmy, just a canister type that's threaded on both sides.

Last edited:

Jukes14

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.0L
If you're using the factory fuel lines, the spot where your filter is now should be fine, and the type of filter you're using now should also be fine. My mom's '02 Burb uses the weird filter threaded on one side that requires a filter removal tool to disconnect the other side, but when I searched for her filter, one of the options that came up was the same filter that I put on my Jimmy, just a canister type that's threaded on both sides.

I'm doing a complete rebuild, so currently there is nothing there!

I plan on using -6 AN lines from the sending unit all the way to the fuel rails

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
so your fuel pressure regulator is on the engine? If it does you should have two lines going to the engine ...feed/return. If so just put in a filter. Look for what ever vehicle it came out of on Rockauto (we get 5% discount on top of the savings). If your rail doesn't a pressure regulator, then you'll need wix 33737. It's a fuel filter and pressure regulator in one, has return line built into it. I say that brand because folks all over the internet recommend it. I'm sure there's cheaper.

Jukes14

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.0L
Okay thanks. Yes I do have two lines on my intake. So I guess i just need to put a fuel filter in line. thank you

Maaac1789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I read somewhere that the thing on the truck fuel rail wasn't a regulator, but a pulse dampener or something like that. Any input on that, cuz mine has the return style rail, and I'd like to know if it is or isn't a regulator

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I read somewhere that the thing on the truck fuel rail wasn't a regulator, but a pulse dampener or something like that. Any input on that, cuz mine has the return style rail, and I'd like to know if it is or isn't a regulator

If there are two quick connects on the rail, it has a built in regulator. A single quick connect would need an external regulator (Corvette filter/regulator being the common route to go).

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers

http://www.lt1swap.com/identify_vortec_engine.htm

FUEL SYSTEM INFORMATION

1999-2003 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 all had a fuel rail with 3/8" supply line and a 5/16" return line. The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail, and has a vacuum line to the intake manifold. In 2004, truck engines went to a single 3/8" supply line, with NO RETURN LINE (returnless) except5.3L L59 Flex Fuel vehicles. For 2004, Flex fuel engines KEPT the return line, BUT used a fuel pressure regulator with a lower pressure ratting. 2005 5.3L L59 Flex Fuel engines switched to a single 3/8" supply with NO RETURN line in 2005. Non flex fuel engines, fuel pressure spec is 55 to 62 psi with vacuum line disconnected, fuel pump running. 5.3L Flex Fuel engine 2001-2004, 48-54 psi with vacuum line disconnected, fuel pump running. 2005+ with returnless fuel rail all shared same fuel pressure spec, 55-62 psi. There is no vacuum reference on these, so fuel pressure should remain constant under all operating conditions. The computer is programmed differently for fuel flow rate depending on type of fuel rail. This is important to know when having a PCM programmed. (exception: 04 express van and 04 trailblazer/envoy still used return style fuel rail, 05+ single line, returnless rail)

end quote

in my build thread I document what I did starting at http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1984-k1500-coming-alive-again-with-a-2002-5-3l.14428/page-3

dougbert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20