4WD High Hump Trans Tunnel Attachment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I'm converting my 2wd '76 crewcab with similar year 4wd cab parts. I have the weld in rear segment and the bolt in front segment. I understand the weld in rear segment spot welds in from the bottom, but how do I attach the front bolt in segment?

Are there weld nuts on the bottom of the cab floor and screws come down through the front tunnel, through the floor, and into the weld nuts? Is it bolt and loose nuts with washers? Studs that face up? Quick clips pushed from the edge? something else?

Thanks! I appreciate any info.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm converting my 2wd '76 crewcab with similar year 4wd cab parts. I have the weld in rear segment and the bolt in front segment. I understand the weld in rear segment spot welds in from the bottom, but how do I attach the front bolt in segment?

Are there weld nuts on the bottom of the cab floor and screws come down through the front tunnel, through the floor, and into the weld nuts? Is it bolt and loose nuts with washers? Studs that face up? Quick clips pushed from the edge? something else?

Thanks! I appreciate any info.

I thought only the front on the tunnel was diffrent for a 2 to a 4x4? Whats the weld in rear section?

Side note: I just read your build the other day on 67 to 72. Holy cow your doing a lot And its looking great!

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 78 has a solid bolt in hump cover. All self tapping bolts. Its been removed before but there was some kind of sealing strip or insulation around the edge.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I thought only the front on the tunnel was diffrent for a 2 to a 4x4? Whats the weld in rear section?

Side note: I just read your build the other day on 67 to 72. Holy cow your doing a lot And its looking great!

a 2wd manual has a high hump, that ends before the large driver-pass floor support. a 4wd has a welded in floor piece that sits over the transfer case, and has a different high hump over the trans that bolts in.

I appreciate the kind words, it is a ton of work but moving steady!

My 78 has a solid bolt in hump cover. All self tapping bolts. Its been removed before but there was some kind of sealing strip or insulation around the edge.

I hadn't though of that- of the general just using self-tappers to hold it down. They seem to really like them all over the cabs, lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Bolts with pointed tips, yes. But self-tapping, no. The bolts thread into square nuts welded into the floor.

But for a non-factory install, self tappers and some sealer should do the trick.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What bucket said or you can drill your own holes and use spring nuts which is what I intended to do.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus