454 of choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If I had to pick I’d say L21 but if your going to rebuild and install new pistons either or both ave turds for cams but the L29s do not allow for a much bigger cam due to the pistons. Those are a bit fancy for me lol I like my old big blocks lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
IF you asked ME...
same as Donkey Dick above. Yes they heavy but sometimes weight (TRACTION!) can be a good thing. I like strong built like brick ********* and CHEAP!!!
Fortunately my machinist is a good friend and loves squares and iron blocks. He says the late 80's 4 bolt blocks are the best. Can't say the same for that era heads though. Those smogger heads don't flow and they are not rebuildable. The castings are too thin. There is not enough meat to properly shave 'em down. You can't put in fat valve guides because again there isn't enough meat. Open chambers so forget making compression.
But we are still fortunate because there are millions of older heads out there.
I'm quoting my machinist brother because he has been doing this work for only 40 years. His very favorite engine out of everything out there are the mothers whom are the very focus of topic here.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The late 90's blocks are actually probably pretty high on the greatness scale for their ability to make power out of the box and reliability, if you can get over them not having the setup for a mechanical fuel pump, especially the L31R. That one had 4 Bolt mains, came with a roller cam from factory, tighter tolerances than anything made previously, plus you can buy a crate motor with vortec heads for just a touch under 2K last time I checked. Put on a Vortec carb intake, Holley or Edlebrock, and a good HEI or better ignition and you are going to be rolling with 255 base horsepower and about 330 lb ft of torque. It's nothing to sneeze at as far as bang for the buck. I think the only way to do better now days is Ls dropouts (in regards to dependable motors).

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The late 90's blocks are actually probably pretty high on the greatness scale for their ability to make power out of the box and reliability, if you can get over them not having the setup for a mechanical fuel pump, especially the L31R. That one had 4 Bolt mains, came with a roller cam from factory, tighter tolerances than anything made previously, plus you can buy a crate motor with vortec heads for just a touch under 2K last time I checked. Put on a Vortec carb intake, Holley or Edlebrock, and a good HEI or better ignition and you are going to be rolling with 255 base horsepower and about 330 lb ft of torque. It's nothing to sneeze at as far as bang for the buck. I think the only way to do better now days is Ls dropouts (in regards to dependable motors).
That’s a small block this is a big block thread lol do we come in your small block threads and shout BIG BLOCK!!!! oh wait we do......carry on....lol

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Better pistons and crank in the l21. Otherwise same I believe

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I stumbled across a L21 with 208k on it, may have to add it to my collection.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
had a buddy trying to tell me i would never make 500hp out of my 454 and went as far as calling 454s junk.

said they are bad engines and thats why no one uses them.

tells me i should have gotten a truck with a 5.3 in it instead.

i pretty much laughed in his face as much as i could through a text and went on my merry way. not sure the purpose of the story just thought you big block guys may get a kick out of a guy talking out his ass about something he doesnt know about.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I stumbled across a L21 with 208k on it, may have to add it to my collection.
It’s still a gen 6 lol but useable. I’m waiting patiently for a 454 out of a camper. It’s an old square winnibego with an orange block 454. Double win because it painted up in Philthadelphia Feacles colors and it will get shredded lol

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
It’s still a gen 6 lol but useable. I’m waiting patiently for a 454 out of a camper. It’s an old square winnibego with an orange block 454. Double win because it painted up in Philthadelphia Feacles colors and it will get shredded lol
I like gen 6 factory efi and roller cam, read the L21 was built to withstand WOT for long periods in RV and loaded commercial trucks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I like gen 6 factory efi and roller cam, read the L21 was built to withstand WOT for long periods in RV and loaded commercial trucks.
Yup had to be able to hold rpm with out grenading

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
had a buddy trying to tell me i would never make 500hp out of my 454 and went as far as calling 454s junk.

said they are bad engines and thats why no one uses them.

tells me i should have gotten a truck with a 5.3 in it instead.

i pretty much laughed in his face as much as i could through a text and went on my merry way. not sure the purpose of the story just thought you big block guys may get a kick out of a guy talking out his ass about something he doesnt know about.

Say what 500hp bbc

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Say what 500hp bbc

Yeah see it didn’t make 500 lmao see you proved his point better throw it away and get a 5.3..... kidding of course lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx