427TD Core Value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Searching in earnest for a 427 starter engine for the 84swb project...before I move. I found a couple that are both stripped down to bare blocks. Guy says they have been checked for cracks. I asked if they had been magnafluxed and he said they had been checked...so that probably means only visually. Anyway, he wants $400 but I think I could get one for $200. I'm finding it kind of difficult to find these engines. I have a local truck u-pull that thinks they may have some 427s laying around, but need to go check. I wanted to have a value in mind before I go.

What's anyone else paid? I don't see too many actually posted for sale so its hard to get a comp value.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Could use a 454 block and a 396-427 crank. Be easier to find

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I think 200 is a good price, especially if you're getting the crank, rods, ect. From what I understand the TD internals are forged and nitrided (I think GM called it something like "toughtriding") and make an excellent rotating assembly for a performance 427. Now if you aren't getting the internals I think it's still a good deal for the block, then you could build a mean 496 with better rod ratios than a short deck motor.

@74 Shortbed what do you think?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Searching in earnest for a 427 starter engine for the 84swb project...before I move. I found a couple that are both stripped down to bare blocks. Guy says they have been checked for cracks. I asked if they had been magnafluxed and he said they had been checked...so that probably means only visually. Anyway, he wants $400 but I think I could get one for $200. I'm finding it kind of difficult to find these engines. I have a local truck u-pull that thinks they may have some 427s laying around, but need to go check. I wanted to have a value in mind before I go.

What's anyone else paid? I don't see too many actually posted for sale so its hard to get a comp value.
Some people think they are gold for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man