4" Lift Inquisition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I recently picked up a set of 4" front springs for the truck and will be putting together the other pieces as time permits. I have a couple of questions for the meant time though and perhaps can help others.

1) Will the stock shocks work for a 4" lift even if I am not going to flex or drive the truck off road?
2) I want to put extended brake lines on and everyone says a 2wd set will work. What years of 2wd will work?
3) What are a good set of inexpensive but decent shocks for a lift? I'll probably most likely order from Rock Auto or Summit.

Keep in mind my truck is a 74 with a dana44 on the front.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
#1 no , to short even a small transition the shock will go to full extension and break itself or your mounts.

#2 dont know about 2 wheel drive but all you have to do is make a small L braket and pull the stock metal lines out of the frame rail and put them under the rail with your L braket , then you can use the stock lines

#3 pro comps , skyjacker , rough country , all pretty much the same imo , for cheap I run skyjacker hydro's

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
#1 no , to short even a small transition the shock will go to full extension and break itself or your mounts.

#2 dont know about 2 wheel drive but all you have to do is make a small L braket and pull the stock metal lines out of the frame rail and put them under the rail with your L braket , then you can use the stock lines

#3 pro comps , skyjacker , rough country , all pretty much the same imo , for cheap I run skyjacker hydro's

Yeah I don't want to run relocated brackets or bend lines. I want to make it as clean and stock looking as possible.

I was figuring the stock shocks would be too short.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I recently picked up a set of 4" front springs for the truck and will be putting together the other pieces as time permits. I have a couple of questions for the meant time though and perhaps can help others.

1) Will the stock shocks work for a 4" lift even if I am not going to flex or drive the truck off road?
2) I want to put extended brake lines on and everyone says a 2wd set will work. What years of 2wd will work?
3) What are a good set of inexpensive but decent shocks for a lift? I'll probably most likely order from Rock Auto or Summit.

Keep in mind my truck is a 74 with a dana44 on the front.

I have stock flex lines on a 6 inch lift and they are still long enough for a little bit of off roading. So stock with 4" will work fine if you don't go off road. If you even plan on doing the occasional off road weekend then drop some $ on a set of extended braided lines.

The shocks will fit but will do nothing for you and will be flex limiters when flexing the frame. Again If you don't go offroad then no issue but they will do nothing for absorbing shocks.

I put Pro Comp ES3000 with rubber boots on my 6" lift 6 years ago and they still work fantastic. Cost $50 each and are easily double the quality and strength of the OEM HD shocks. The cylinders are nearly double the diameter of OEM ones.

4 Pro Comps and a matching steering stabilizer should run about $250

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually I think I bought mine from the Gear Center. If not go down to 4WD

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have stock flex lines on a 6 inch lift and they are still long enough for a little bit of off roading. So stock with 4" will work fine if you don't go off road. If you even plan on doing the occasional off road weekend then drop some $ on a set of extended braided lines.

The shocks will fit but will do nothing for you and will be flex limiters when flexing the frame. Again If you don't go offroad then no issue but they will do nothing for absorbing shocks.

I put Pro Comp ES3000 with rubber boots on my 6" lift 6 years ago and they still work fantastic. Cost $50 each and are easily double the quality and strength of the OEM HD shocks. The cylinders are nearly double the diameter of OEM ones.

4 Pro Comps and a matching steering stabilizer should run about $250

Good to know. I'm not trying to be a cheap ass. But I'm looking at ways to build an effective kit without having to fork out a ton of money. The truck is more of a weekend warrior than a daily driver at the moment and if I can get away with using stock parts for the time being and upgrade later then so be it.

I'm still curious about the 2wd brake lines though as I've read lots of people have done this.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Good to know. I'm not trying to be a cheap ass. But I'm looking at ways to build an effective kit without having to fork out a ton of money. The truck is more of a weekend warrior than a daily driver at the moment and if I can get away with using stock parts for the time being and upgrade later then so be it.

I'm still curious about the 2wd brake lines though as I've read lots of people have done this.

Ya no worries I ran shocks for a 2.5" lift on my 6" lift for 2 years until I bought new Pro Comps LOL

What a difference though when I put the right shocks on LOL

I don't have unlimited funds either especially with a family my truck is seen as a non essential item lol so I always try to go the cheapest route possible too

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok so I have been doing a bit of digging and here lies the issue.

The early trucks such as the 73-76 with the Dana 44 have a 7/16-20 fitting for the caliper where afterwards it changed to a m10 banjo bolt and causes the grief.

Some people apparently have drilled out the M10 to 7/16 ... Thoughts?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

The early trucks such as the 73-76 with the Dana 44 have a 7/16-20 fitting for the caliper where afterwards it changed to a m10 banjo bolt and causes the grief.

sure but then you have to rebuild the caliper to remove all the debris from drilling it

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sure but then you have to rebuild the caliper to remove all the debris from drilling it

7/16 I'd bigger than 10mm so you drill the fitting not the caliper :shrug:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I think I read somewhere that the front brake lines for a 1999- I think- 1 ton has the longer factory front brake lines. I am not certain though. If it was me I would buy the lines that will mate to the later calipers. The reason is just in case you roll another front end under the truck.

I ended up buying the longer stainless lines for my truck when I replaced them. They are nice but a little pricey. I figured that since my son was going to be driving the truck that I would not tightwad my way out of a situation. I would do everything the right way. Besides I have had the truck for so long, if I do right the first time it should be the only time right? Uh Huh...

BTW- I ran my stock brake lines and my truck has a 6 inch lift. I just replaced them last year.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

f

I believe it is 73-78 that is 7/16-20 (my '77 anyway was 7/16)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
f

I believe it is 73-78 that is 7/16-20 (my '77 anyway was 7/16)

Interesting... Still makes it more difficult lol as most stuff is designed for the 10mm banjo bolt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The calipers went metric around '79. You just need hoses for a '74 C10, should be longer and sized proper for the standard banjo bolt.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The calipers went metric around '79. You just need hoses for a '74 C10, should be longer and sized proper for the standard banjo bolt.

Yeah I was hoping to find something in the same fittings that were longer but looks like I'm going to have to spend the money and buy proper hoses.

Trying to do this on a budget and I think even buying pieces individually I'll still come out ahead in terms of cost.

Most 4" kits for me around $500 or so.

Right now I have $100 in for the front springs but still need the following:
4 x Shocks
3 x Brake lines
2 x lift blocks
1 x Steering Arm
4 x Ubolts

I have placed the items in order of which will be most to least expensive at this moment. Unfortunately being in Canada our prices are MUCh higher than US pricing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels