388 with a 400 Tranny, need advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToddM

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I have an 86 k20 that I recently pulled out the tired crate 350 and put in a built 388. its about 425HP and about 460 torque.

here is the issue, after the swap everything ran and drove great and then one day after driving the truck for about 15 mins I stopped at the store and the truck was off for about 15 mins. When I got back in and started it up and put it into gear it did nothing, I ran through all gears including reverse and there was nothing the engine would just rev. The best way to describe it is that it was like it was in neutral even though it was in gear. The fluid was full and the shifter was engaging on the trans case. it sat idling in drive for about 10 mins and then just popped into gear. I drove it home and let it sit and couldn't figure out what it might be. I drove it a few more times and it did the same thing.... acting like its in N when it is in any gear and then after a period of time it jumps into action. It did it at stop lights and then stops.

Someone told me to change the filter. I did this and then I had no movement at all.... I took it to a much and he took it out and said that the input shaft was ground smooth..... he rebuilt the tranny and put it back in.... one week later after driving great, same issue.... so I am guessing the input shaft is smooth again.

so my question is anyone out there ever seen this before? ,,,, everyone I have talked to has no clue on what would cause this issue. Advice would kick ass.

Thanks all.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check your shift linkage on the frame. That gear slippage can happen if you are missing parts to the tension assembly. You should have a plastic bushing inside the frame bracket, then a tension spring, then a washer then the shift lever which bolts to the side of the trans. And, the shift lever has a machined hole at the end of it for a cotter/clevis pin to secure it in place.

Make sure all your correct hardware is there and working properly before worrying about the transmission itself. Also, the column linkage has a nut that may be a tad loose too. If any of it is out of whack, it can make you think you're slipping gears.

ToddM

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Thank you for the reply, I have already ruled this out... it is the tranny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06