VSS question for a 4wd with a 0411 pcm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

builds4christ

Reaction score
First Name
Asterios
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Hey guys, I need help.

Converting my 96 k1500 4L60e to a 96 4L80e. I have most of the pinouts figured out, but I have one question. I discovered that the VSS for the 4L60e is actually on the transfer case. This kinda threw a wrench into what I thought I had to do with the pinouts on the 0411. It thought it was going to be easy because I expected a sensor to be on the tranny, not necessarily the transfer case.

To my question,

Since the 4L80e has two VSS sensors, do I just re-wire the VSS from the transfer case into the 80 and leave the sensor sitting there, unused on the transfer case? Based on the pinout spreadsheet I have from when I converted to the 0411, I have 4 wires to use on VSS for front and rear sensors. There WERE two other wires that were spliced together and inserted as a single signal for VSS as well, but there doesn't seem to be any instruction or explanation other than that. The spreadsheet calls out for one set of VSS wires to be 80 specific and the others to be 60 specific and then those two that are tied together.

Anyway, I may be over thinking it, but that's where I'm stuck. Do I leave the transfer case VSS out of the loop and tie those wires into the 80? Any input would be greatly appreciated! See attached for pinout Spreadsheet.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hey guys, I need help.

Converting my 96 k1500 4L60e to a 96 4L80e. I have most of the pinouts figured out, but I have one question. I discovered that the VSS for the 4L60e is actually on the transfer case. This kinda threw a wrench into what I thought I had to do with the pinouts on the 0411. It thought it was going to be easy because I expected a sensor to be on the tranny, not necessarily the transfer case.

To my question,

Since the 4L80e has two VSS sensors, do I just re-wire the VSS from the transfer case into the 80 and leave the sensor sitting there, unused on the transfer case? Based on the pinout spreadsheet I have from when I converted to the 0411, I have 4 wires to use on VSS for front and rear sensors. There WERE two other wires that were spliced together and inserted as a single signal for VSS as well, but there doesn't seem to be any instruction or explanation other than that. The spreadsheet calls out for one set of VSS wires to be 80 specific and the others to be 60 specific and then those two that are tied together.

Anyway, I may be over thinking it, but that's where I'm stuck. Do I leave the transfer case VSS out of the loop and tie those wires into the 80? Any input would be greatly appreciated! See attached for pinout Spreadsheet.
If you're swapping in a 4L80E that has two speed sensors and it's a 1994+ unit then you're working with a 2WD 4L80E. The 4L80E had both speed sensors on the transmission for both 2WD and 4WD applications from 1991-93. However, starting in 1994 they moved the VSS (rear speed sensor on the transmission) to the transfer case on all 4x4 vehicles. The transmission itself received an output carrier that lacked the pressed-on reluctor gear otherwise read by the speed sensor and the rear speed sensor was omitted and replaced by a 'dummy plug'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad