350 to 400 small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
@Honky Kong jr will cracks show if I just wave the torch over the surface? Ive only ever known of magnafluxing for cracks lol. Im obviously new to this

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
@Honky Kong jr will cracks show if I just wave the torch over the surface? Ive only ever known of magnafluxing for cracks lol. Im obviously new to this
Generally they will it’s a quick field test unless you have access to Dye Penetrant chemicals

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oy vey! Don't go to the darkside kid. You can't afford it. Cash rules everything around me. If you find a 396 Honkey Kong will help you build it. It'll be cheaper than vortek heads and you can call it a 400 ..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you can find a used SBC 350 L31 long block (Vortec with roller cam), preferably one you can hear running before you buy, that could be a good starting point for your final plans. They were used in 96-2000 GM trucks, so they are a very common engine. Many of the used ones will have 150k miles or more on them, but since they are computer controlled they will often not show significant cylinder wear. They have a very mild cam in them, but its a roller cam and upgrades are easy. You still have to figure out how you are going to check the Vortec heads for cracks.

I don't know your location and how common GM trucks are, but sometimes you can buy a complete wrecked truck for nearly the same price as an engine pulled and sitting on the bench in the junkyard. You can hear the engine running and do a compression and other checks to make sure its in decent shape. Then take what you want off the engine and sell the vehicle for scrap.

Bruce

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I recommended the new heads because by the time you buy the heads, have them checked for cracks, decked flat, valve job, springs and screw in studs you have almost the same amount of money in used heads, all this after you spend an entire day at the junkyard checking the heads for cracks. Always have them checked, one of them i bought from a running engine had a hairline crack in it, the shop pressure tested it and said it didn't leak but he didn't want to risk using it.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
you are going to need a vortec intake to match the heads i rarely see them on clist about $150-$180 new. i think sticking with the 350 is your best low budget option.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Yea it looks like im either going to grab some vortecs from a yard, or save over the summer to do a complete 400 the right way. Knowing how impatient i get tho il probably be at a junk yard soon lol

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Save your money enjoy your truck and when You have the cash stored to build an engine then search and decide what you want a few hundred might get you the proper machine work.
For few hundred will get you a complete gasket set then you need main bearing, rod bearing, rings, cam and lifter SBC cams go fiat and then heads valve grind?

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
The other thing to keep in mind, is the ability to find a 400sbc in running condition. The guys that like them, tend to hang onto them. The only ones I ever see pop up on Craigslist are guys asking a few thousand for a supposed complete performance rebuild, or basket cases that WILL DEFINITELY require machining.

This is why i always suggest getting a NEW 400 block from Dart or GM; Think of all the time (and money) it will take to locate a 400----and then what if it's no good? On top of that, these aftermarket blocks are stouter than a stock 400, not the the 400 is no good in stock form.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I am running a Craigslist 350 that I paid $200 for while I save up for my 400 rebuild man, are we havin fun yet?

That is how I was able to answer your initial inquiries - I just did it and my CL 350 will outrun yours ANYDAY.

Sucka. How much money you got in your pocket?

LET'S LINE EM UP! YEEEHAAAWWWWW!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
This is why i always suggest getting a NEW 400 block from Dart or GM; Think of all the time (and money) it will take to locate a 400----and then what if it's no good? On top of that, these aftermarket blocks are stouter than a stock 400, not the the 400 is no good in stock form.
I was not even aware anyone was making aftermarket 400 blocks. It's been some time since I went through the speed catalogs with the intention of building a sbc.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oh yeah man...check out the Dart "Little M", i think it is.
Hello 4 inch stroked 434 small block!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117