3208 cat engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It won't be anytime soon
Truck will be with me forever so I'll have awhile to look and think of new things
Going into the diesel field I'm sure I'll find many others that could suffice as a worthy Motoblur swap
Thanks tho

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
need to stick a 3116 or 3126 in a C30..im gonna do it i swear..either that or just buy a 70's C80 and stick a dually bed on it..lol

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
Nearly 1700 pounds for the smallest one. Also read that 4.5 mpg is the average fuel consumption.

That's probably in a semi. 6mpg would be pretty good for a semi especially of the age the 3208 came in, 4.5 would be pretty average. In a pickup with low gearing i'd expect low to mid 20's.

I think the 3208 is a bit big personally, it's not that far past a cummins (which can weigh closer to 1400lbs for the newer ones) but it's still a hell of alot on the front end. A 3208 is like having three engines of weight in the front, a cummins/international harvester DT like having two in the front.

I originally thought about detroit diesels and such for my own project, even the 6v53 has been put in before (and sounds AMAZING, here's your rocky mountain humming bird http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2MKOidGjg ) which for the weight (I think also around 1400lbs) is the most DD displacement you can stuff in. (only about 318 cubic inches... ponder that a moment, though it's 2 cycle so it's sorta like twice the power pulses) Others like the 4-71 weigh more but are even less displacement if I remember. Yet none of the small ones have monster power capability - a cummins 6bt will wax them all in longevity at 400hp i'd bet, detroits much over 1hp per cubic inch have limited lifespans in marine use. They were powerful in the 70's, not vs engines of today.

6v71's are too dang big and heavy, 6v92's aren't much bigger than the 71's though with more power and efficiency especially turbo. If I wanted to spank cummins i'd want a 6v92T turbo minimum theyre just huge. Inline 6-71's too long. Nonturbo DD's all sorta lack power so add even more weight for that, and although people have built some radical ones for truck pulling and marine duty and such that more applies to the bigger engines usually the legendary v12 which was too big for SEMI TRUCKS without an extended hood.

Most larger cummins and caterpillars are just too long due to the inline 6 configuration, the main reason to consider DD's are those vee engines.

A Mack V8 would make for a very interesting swap if it would fit and you wanted to go to big rig insanity - from what i've heard they've been used in some monster power modified trucks as well with four digit power - detroit diesels get there too but usually in like a v12 configuration with sheer displacement (a 14L but being 2 cycle is like twice the displacement due to twice the power pulses).

My own ideal are those international harvester DT series - they're only slightly larger and heavier than a cummins, it's going to come more down to a cummins/nv4500 probably being an easier swap for me to do than a DT with a medium duty transmission. But a DT engine is better in every way.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I thought that a IDI 7.3 International or the 6.9 would be a decent swap, even though they put them in Fords, somewhere there is a square with a DT466 International that I saw in Diesel Power years ago. Thinking about it, a 4-53 Detroit is only 212 ci! 6-71 is 426 ci. Hell my Grandad's old 8v71 was only 568 ci for 318HP in his '67 Jimmy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee