1990 Suburban ECM-1 fuse blows, again & again :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's Great. Whooda Thunk it??? That's the thing with a short. You just never know.

I had a problem on my 93 Ford Box Van. I was losing my OD Cancel Light Button Feature in the end of the gear shift lever, the back up lights, and the turn signals. Finally found the fuse. Replaced it. Blew again about 10 miles later. Replaced it. 5 miles later Blew Again. Lucky for me when I decided to trace it down, I had a bit of a clue the that issue went to the rear and under the truck. I found a wiring harness had come loose, had been sagging and rubbing in the driveshaft to the point it wore the rubber coating off a wire and everytime that wire swung into the driveshaft every so slightly, Poof !!! I blew the fuse. Taped it up but the 6 wire loom in some of that flexible plastic tubing and zip tied it to the bottom of the box of the truck.
:cheers: Seems I`ve run into similar. :bowroflwerd6::happy175:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hello?

:leave:

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Attachments

• SupDawg.jpg
    SupDawg.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 162

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
HAHAHAHAHAHA :wave:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Reviving this long dead thread because I had ECM1 blow on my 1990 suburban when I hit a bump yesterday. Couldn't find anything wrong at the injector harness, which seems the most common place to pinch a wire on this circuit, and because earlier that day I had replaced the air filter. Things also looked good at the EGR solenoid and ESC harnesses that are fed from ECM1 also. Oddly enough, VSS is also fed from ECM1. But it is shown on a separate wiring diagram then the rest of what is fed from ECM1 in the wiring manual, so kind of hard to find info. Turns out I found some shiny wire reflecting the flashlight back at me when looking at the VSS harness where it had rubbed through on the side of the transmission. So I wrapped it in some spare vacuum hose to make a protective sleeve and hopefully that was the issue and now it will be solved. Thought I'd add to the information in this thread to help future ECM1 issues for folks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ