1990 Suburban 2500 2wd towing TH400 with 3:73 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holcombehas6

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI 350
Hey everyone. So I had some work done on my TBI a few days ago and the next day I drove to pick up my camper and immediately hit the highway. The problem I had was that the transmission started acting all weird. Slipping, shifting funny, sometimes not even going out of first, other times starting in third, etc. the transmission was used. Regardless it was fine until the TBI gaskets were replaced. So I need to know: will the 2500 2wd TH400 with 3:73 gears in it able to tow a trailer that is 7000 pounds plus myself, my wife, and 4 kids. Thanks.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should be able to tow if everything is in working order. Check the vacuum line going to the transmission.

holcombehas6

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI 350
Vac lines

Replaced the modulator on the side of the trans. I am having a hard time finding anyone I trust is the problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do check that vacuum modulator cuz it's the easiest thing to check. But, it does sound like a governor problem. If the governor is not acting right or the valve is stiff, then it may not upshift properly, then once the valve moves, if it hangs and doesn't come back down to allow downshift, then you might be taking off in 3rd gear when it's time to take off again. So, suspect the governor vavle to be hung up. You might be able to take it out, use some carb cleaner and get the valve to move freely in the bore once again. Or replace it. Next, were there any wires pinched? Maybe the kickdown solenoid has power some how and that's likely to cause delayed shifts, and MAYBE cause a 3rd gear hang, but I'd think it'll need help from the governor to hang in 3rd too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda