1987 Silverado Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
the fuel lines look ok and the fuel pump it vibrates and make noise im wondering did i do somthing wrong replacing the hoses i put them back in same spot gas tank reads half tank o i know i got gas i also just yesterday replaced the battery cables with new 2 guage wires Im wondering when i cleaned the throttle body if maybe i ruined a sensor or somthing with the carb cleaner?

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Also i can see only 1 fuel pump and 1 fuel filter but what puzzles me is why would it all sudden put out like that? the filter i mean

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
For it to hit when you dump gas in the tb but not run without it, it is not a sensor. If it was fine before you replaced the lines you either got them backwards or broke something loose that clogged a filter. Filter is the cheapest and easiest thing to do.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
i wonder did i put the fuel lines on wrong on the tb because they were tricky both ends on the tb and the line screwed together if i take the line off is there way to see if gas is flowing threw them? Also would having the injectors switched around on the throttle body cause them not to work? when i cleaned the throttle body i took them off and am not sure if i got them in there same spot .

Last edited:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
The injectors are the same left to right so that wouldnt matter but with the fuel lines yes you can unscrew them and turn the key to the on position and watch to see which one has gas come out. With the ke in the on position you get a second or two of prime so youll need to have something to catch the gas. I cut two 20oz bottles down to about half to catch the gas coming out of the lines to know which one is pushing.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
k ill try that then i guess if gas is coming out at the throttle body then that means my injector wouldnt be working maybe they will need replaced or somthing my friend at autozone he told me to replace my map sensor that those can cause timing problems and even the motor to run like crap thats what he thinks the problem is

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Also im looking to buy a code reader for my truck but was wondering all of the code readers i find say 1998 and up did they not put codes on the 87s? cause my check engine light is on and id like to be able to see what it says and just have the reader for future convenice.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Your 87 should be OBD1 which is the primitive form of the coomputer system. Ask your local parts stores for a OBD1 code reader its just a lil deal that plugs in under the dash and flashes the check engine light and they come with a book to explian what the flashes mean. They only cost about 20 bucks and will work with many different brands

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
ok thanks ill check that out, tomorow im gonna get a new fuel filter see if that changes anything with the gas as well but im pretty sure its somthing at the throttle body thats i put wrong or somthing

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Dont see how you could have done anything wrong the plugs can only go to ne sensor and the lines should have lined right up with the correct port to hook up. Might be a bad sensor or injector. Make sure all your connections are good going to the dizzy and coil.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You can read codes with a paperclip...no need to blow money on a diagnostic tester.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
ok i just got done checking the truck took fuel filter off turned truck on fuel pump comes on blows out air... switched to differnt gas tank both have about 4gallons each still air then unhooked hose befor fuel pump still no gas flows out of any of the hoses?

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
well i got my right hand gas tank off took the float and interanal fuel pump thing out is there a way to test this thing see if it works? the gas in the tank was pretty dirty so was the gas in the fuel pump filter rust brown color

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Apply 12 volts to the fuel pump...far from the tank. The biggest problem is the fuel line between the pump and the top of the sending unit, that hose likes to split.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
ok ill try that because its somthing befor the fuel pump on the outside i have3 total 1 underneath frame and 1 in each tank kinda puzzle me tho as to why both tanks pumps would all sudden stop working?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71