1986 K30 Big Dooley in need of bigger tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, that's why I want to go with the 900R16 which is a 255/100R16 no wider just taller. Just don't want to waste money on tires, that I'm gonna hate.

I run those Power King tires (first I've seen them listed under the Cordovan name) on my K30 dually and I love them. They are bias ply, but they seem very round. Even when the truck sits for months, they don't shake much on the first drive, and the shake is usually gone within a mile. There is an occasional mild shake while braking. I've run them at higher speeds on many occasions, 75 mph is no problem.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and they are wider than a 255/85 tire. I can get actual measurements off the ones installed on the truck if it will help.

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Oh, and they are wider than a 255/85 tire. I can get actual measurements off the ones installed on the truck if it will help.

If you don't mind, that would be awesome! I found where another guy had bought them, and measured them around 34.75", which is weird because all the other tires that are in the 900R16 were measuring 36.3". Hopefully they aren't too much wider, cause I might run into problems. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the power king brand. There were a few manufacturers of that same tread, maybe the rights were sold out? 7 tires with shipping was $1400, not too bad. When I get home and get them put on I will post some pictures.

Thanks for the input.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
One thing I've been wondering is can you put one big tire on the back as compared to the 2 duallys have. You know like a lot of the semi trucks are doing now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you don't mind, that would be awesome! I found where another guy had bought them, and measured them around 34.75", which is weird because all the other tires that are in the 900R16 were measuring 36.3". Hopefully they aren't too much wider, cause I might run into problems. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the power king brand. There were a few manufacturers of that same tread, maybe the rights were sold out? 7 tires with shipping was $1400, not too bad. When I get home and get them put on I will post some pictures.

Thanks for the input.

I'm getting an OD of just a tick under 35 inches, and they are worn down some. From what I remember, they were about 35.5 inches when newer. The tread width is 9 inches, and the section width is about 10.5 inches. The rear wheels have a two inch spacer between them. With a good load in the bed (about 1/2 cord of wood and two tool boxes) there is close to an inch of clearance between both sidewall bulges. All of this is on stock rims.

I would call them a 36" tire. My new 36" MTZ's measure at 35". My old military Goodyear 36's measure closer to 34", but they are worn. Probably 35" when new.

Oh, and the 255/85's were a full inch narrower than the 9.00x16's. When new, they measured a full 33 inches (BFG).

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I'm getting an OD of just a tick under 35 inches, and they are worn down some. From what I remember, they were about 35.5 inches when newer. The tread width is 9 inches, and the section width is about 10.5 inches. The rear wheels have a two inch spacer between them. With a good load in the bed (about 1/2 cord of wood and two tool boxes) there is close to an inch of clearance between both sidewall bulges. All of this is on stock rims.

I would call them a 36" tire. My new 36" MTZ's measure at 35". My old military Goodyear 36's measure closer to 34", but they are worn. Probably 35" when new.

Oh, and the 255/85's were a full inch narrower than the 9.00x16's. When new, they measured a full 33 inches (BFG).

Thanks for the measurements!

Hmm well, if I have to have spacers. Could I put 2, 1" on the back and a 2" on the front? The truck isn't gonna see much load. The most would be about 3,700lb boat. You know a good spacer manufacturer?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow what a clean truck. My mouth dropped at the sight of that clean undercarriage with low miles. You've really got something there

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Wow what a clean truck. My mouth dropped at the sight of that clean undercarriage with low miles. You've really got something there

Thanks! It has definitely been cared for. The crazy thing is I believe it's all original metal too! I was actually looking for a 69-75 Blazer when I ran across this and could not pass it up! Still down to trade for one if anyone has one in equal condition!

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the front undercarriage

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
do not stack spacers. buy them the right thickness. you must buy the right spacers machined steel, no aluminum. spacers must be hub centric. highdesertranger

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
do not stack spacers. buy them the right thickness. you must buy the right spacers machined steel, no aluminum. spacers must be hub centric. highdesertranger

This is my first dually so bear with me. I was thinking that I could put a 1" spacer on the inside tire to push it away from the frame then another 1" on the outside tire to space them out. Then since they are even with the front put a 2" up there to keep them even. Will that not work? Is there a site where I can buy truck/differential specific spacers?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
! ton's are hub centric. meaning the rim is centered on the hub not the lug nuts. therefor the spacer must be hub centric. also being a 1 ton the spacer must be heavy duty. here is how they work your inner wheel stays in place centered on the hub. the spacer bots to your factory lug nuts holding the inner wheel on. the spacer centers itself on the factory hub. then the outer wheel goes on. the spacer has its own lug nuts and centering ring machined on to it. this centers the outer rim. DO NOT use spacers made out of aluminum or spacers that are just a piece of metal with holes drilled in them. I have been looking for the guy who makes excellent quality spacers. I had him bookmarked but can't find him. I will look again. remember ONLY use quality spacers. there is a lot of junk out there. highdesertranger

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Thanks for the info highdesertrange. So my question now is, is there a way to push the inner wheel out from the frame some? Maybe get longer studs and the spacers with holes you warned me about? Maybe an inside rim with more of a negative offset? I'm not gonna be using it as a tow rig, mostly just general truck use and towing a 3700lb boat. This has to be a common problem with the cab & chassis rearends.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I have a cab and chassis 1 ton. no you CANNOT use those spacers with just holes. I four wheel mine all over I have never had a problem. why do you want to move the inner wheel out? if it's for tires that are that big that you think they will rub on the spring you are putting to big of tire on. highdesertranger

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You don't need to move the inner wheel, just need space between the duals.

Also, my truck has aluminum spacers and they are plenty strong enough. You can park all of the weight on the outside tire, or go flying through a bumpy field and they hold up well. NOTE: I'm not disagreeing that steel spacers aren't stronger.

TecRsq

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 3+3
Engine Size
Very, very nice truck and I just went through the new tires routine with my latest K30.

On my old 87 K30 regular cab dually, I was running Buckshot mudders in the 36" size. Seeing that those are now impossible to find, I began looking at Power Kings tall and narrow tires and almost pulled the trigger on a purchase.

Until I found Colony Tire and their deal on used 900 x 16 Michelin. Tires were 200 a piece and used, but looked brand new when I got them.

I think you will be pleased with either when it's said and done.

Mounting the tires on factory 16" dually rims, was a non interference issue with leaf spring on my cab & chassis 14 bolt. I did however, use a 2.5" spacer, between the duals to allow them to be separated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes