1984 K10 Water Temperature Gauge Malfunction, Max Out Then Drops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeyr60

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi, My 1984 Chevy K10 Silverado water temp gauge will max out within driving a mile or two, but then within a minute or so will drop back down to normal. I've read some of the posts in the forum, but haven't seen any with this exact issue. I had a lot of accessory work done to the 350 motor and this started occurring afterwards. I have changed the thermostat twice, filled with new coolant, and replaced the temp sending unit. The hoses don't seem to be overheating and the truck will run for long periods of time without overheating or having any problem. Is this a wiring or ground issue? Thanks.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Check the eyelit connection clean it and restest it, could be the sensor, could be the printed circuit board on on the back of the cluster.

Joeyr60

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you. I will check those when I am home again. It just seems strange that every time I start it, the temp is fine until I get about a mile from my house, then it spikes and within 30-40 seconds, it goes back down to normal with no problem. I've already changed the sensor and ensured a good connection on back of gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1