1984 K10 Steering Column question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Wheeler

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1984 K10 Steering Column question.

Tilt steering column. The tilt works fine. However, I recently noticed the wheel will move right to left and up and down if I try to make that happen.

This could have recently started, or I recently noticed now that I am trying to fix all the little things after 34 years of ownership.

Also, the ignition switch is getting tough to remove the key.

Could these be interrelated?
I watched the video or changing the ignition switch, looks like quite a bit of stuff for me to mess up.
Does the column need to be rebuilt?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not sure if the difficult key removal is related to the wobbly column.

These four torx headed bolts loosen up over time causing the column to wobble. It’s quit the job breaking the column down this far but, if you remove the wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch you can get to two of them IIRC. It couldn’t hurt to refurbish the upper portion of the column but do some research and be prepared for a change.
You must be registered for see images attach

You may try lubricating the lock cylinder with graphite or some other dry lube to get you by.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Cal is right, it's those 4 bolts loosening up. I completely rebuilt my column about a year ago, including all new bearings and any part that was still available for purchase. It started by wanting to tighten up the play in the wheel. If you get far enough into it to tighten those bolts up, make sure you use some Loc Tite to keep them from ever loosening again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris