1981 K10 dies going down the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TannerT

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
The ole truck has a 305sbc HEI distributor. Going down the road, maybe 2 to 3 miles it just shuts down. Doesn't bog or anything just dies. It will start right back up, but will die again shortly down the road. Might have traveled 5 to7 miles and died about 5 times today. When it does all lights and blinkers work. New fuel pump new edelbrock 650 new wires and new distributor. Maybe ignition switch....Coil....Ignition module? Any help would be appreciated.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You didn't mention 'fuel filter'.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’ll take a stab at it. A bad pump, it will run fine in the cool of the day, but once it gets hot it will die but not start back until it has cooled down. Since you don’t have that problem, plus a new pump (new doesn’t mean it’s not bad), that should be eliminated. Say you have new distributor. The module problem should be eliminated. Bad or weak coil shouldn’t cause a shut down, misfiring it would. Leaves the switch in the column. Try wiggling the key or moving some wires along the column while running to see if it has any effect. I’m not well versed in electrical, but seems to me you’re losing power to the distributor for whatever reason.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don’t know if you have the electronic ignition
A lot of times the parts inside the dizzy will get hot and stop working

First you gotta figure out if it’s the fuel or the spark

Probabaly the spark

TannerT

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I appreciate it guys. Ill probably tear into it this weekend. I had this problem for a bit now. When it first started i assumed it was the old pump so i replaced it. Then the intake (thinking vacuum at that point) went with a edelbrock performer. then ofcourse replaced the distributor. When i jiggle the key i dont see any hesitation but thats intermittent. I have a new engine for her but no point until i figure out the source. The 305 is old but good compression.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hope you get the problem fixed. When you do, come back and let us know the solution.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree on spark. If it was loosing spark somewhere, my bet would be on the pickup coil rather than the ignition module. I’ve never been in a situation where it’ll start back up for me. Once it’s dead, it’s dead. That being said, examine the cap, rotor, coil, make sure the power lead has a good connection, pickup coil, and then you can take the ICM to be tested. Here’s what you do with the HEI and pickup coils:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Btw, you can do the pickup coil test with it still on the distributor. It’s just a bit more difficult to do what he’s doing laying on top of the engine instead of it sitting on the bench.

TannerT

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Turns out it was the ignition switch. It was in pretty bad shape. However, now when i put it in gear....it dies ‍♂️

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
My Burb is doing the same thing. My very experienced mechanic says the ignition module in these is known for this. It died while he was checking my timing during a oil change. He knocked on the ignition module then turned the key and it cranked right back up. Its been dying for no reason then randomly starting back up. Im going to order a new one off amazon for $36 and see if it solves it.

TannerT

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
My Burb is doing the same thing. My very experienced mechanic says the ignition module in these is known for this. It died while he was checking my timing during a oil change. He knocked on the ignition module then turned the key and it cranked right back up. Its been dying for no reason then randomly starting back up. Im going to order a new one off amazon for $36 and see if it solves it.

I believe i solved my issue. I replaced my ignition switch and Neutral safety switch. Made some adjustments and bam......just like that she runs

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if you decide to replace the dizzy, Skip White is a great alternative. ~$50 shipped w/cap/rotor. Plenty of feedback here on those dizzy's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator