1979 K20 5.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ended up buying these bad boys
You must be registered for see images attach

For anyone who is a better fabricator than I am my 2010 camaro Long tubes are up for grabs. Will post in the classifieds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Speed engineering long tubes for SO much better it’s ridiculous. I can’t believe I spent so much time trying to get the camaro ones to fit.

Side by side
You must be registered for see images attach

Got them mounted last night and there is tons of room everywhere and the O2 sensors are exactly where they need to be. Definitely recommend them.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I just saw yesterday Speed engineering has a Universal LS swap turbo log now.... You know you want it, wink wink...

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just saw yesterday Speed engineering has a Universal LS swap turbo log now.... You know you want it, wink wink...

Definitely crossed my mind... unfortunately I only have a 60e trans and it’s freshly rebuilt but not “built”. If I had an 80e then holy smokes that would be tempting!!! Maybe down the road...

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

It wasn't super hard to build mine, but as cheap as they sell stuff, I'd buy a log from them. Their forward facing headers are garbage.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Do you think you'd need to notch the frame to make the C10 headers fit like you had to with the Camaro headers?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Do you think you'd need to notch the frame to make the C10 headers fit like you had to with the Camaro headers?

Absolutely not, they drop in and clear everything, even with the engine moved up and forward 1.5" in each axis.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Absolutely not, they drop in and clear everything, even with the engine moved up and forward 1.5" in each axis.
:party36::peace:

Thats what I was hoping for. I really want long tubes but was worried about any extra work. The Speed Engineering shorties seemed nice but in my head I want the swap done before they are promised to be in stock. (as my yard sits covered in snow, soon to be muddy until at least mid april)

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
if you really wanted you could use stock manifolds, what you end up needing to notch on the frame isn't really much wider than the width of a quarter and maybe about a 2 inch stretch. After that just weld up the EGR hole and fab up your exhaust to good enough status until you get the headers and then have a clean setup installed on the exhaust.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
if you really wanted you could use stock manifolds, what you end up needing to notch on the frame isn't really much wider than the width of a quarter and maybe about a 2 inch stretch. After that just weld up the EGR hole and fab up your exhaust to good enough status until you get the headers and then have a clean setup installed on the exhaust.

You can also cut the flange off, weld a pipe on in such a way to avoid frame notching altogether

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
In my experience it wasn't the flange that hit but rather a piece above the flange that bulged out too much. Honestly it was way easier to cut the frame and so little was cut out it would be a little foolish to modify the manifold. Kind of like stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. It might be different from chassis to chassis though so that may be the determining factor. My best advice is if you want to try the manifold first try feeding it from the bottom, make sure you are using a motor mount that is elevating the engine properly, and use some poly motor mounts. In my case I had the poly mounts and used Dirty Dingo slider mounts but I still had to notch the front cross member.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:party36::peace:

Thats what I was hoping for. I really want long tubes but was worried about any extra work. The Speed Engineering shorties seemed nice but in my head I want the swap done before they are promised to be in stock. (as my yard sits covered in snow, soon to be muddy until at least mid april)

Same boat I was in. Asked the square body LS swap Facebook group a a couple 4x4 guys had successfully used the long tubes without clearance issues and I didn’t want to wait for the shortys.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I don't think there is any harm in using one or the other. I think if I had to do it over again perhaps I would go with the long tube, after all it's a 4 x 4 build so any extra torque is always useful, especially considering the LS makes things a little more up in the rpm band. Also it will probably take a little less work to align the exhaust piping straight out the back section with a DIY kit than having to make and or add bends to the shorty headers.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't think there is any harm in using one or the other. I think if I had to do it over again perhaps I would go with the long tube, after all it's a 4 x 4 build so any extra torque is always useful, especially considering the LS makes things a little more up in the rpm band. Also it will probably take a little less work to align the exhaust piping straight out the back section with a DIY kit than having to make and or add bends to the shorty headers.

Somewhere I read that on LS engines the long tubes are actually the only headers that will net you any significant gains over stock manifolds, but I can’t find the article now... With that being said I think the gains are not very much like 20-25 hp and I don’t know how much tq.

I think you are on track with the exhaust assumption, although even with long tubes my exhaust is going to need some S bends in order to get around the tranny crossmember. I may just have a shop make the bends and then the rest do myself to save some cash.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Somewhere I read that on LS engines the long tubes are actually the only headers that will net you any significant gains over stock manifolds

I've read the same thing all over the web as well. I've always wondered why folks waste their money on short tube headers over stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota