1978 350 temp sensors and vacuum lines.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan_289

Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Royal Sierra
Engine Size
How many temp sensors should my 78 350 have? I can only find one wire but I have a sensor down by the drivers side spark plugs and my thermostat housing has 2 sensors in it. One button head sensor and one plug in sensor.

Also, right beside the thermostat housing I have a vacuum tree that screws into my intake. It has 4 ports on it and they are all open. Are these supposed to be plugged into something or just capped off?

I suspect that the "engine rebuild" the PO told me about was an engine swap.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How many temp sensors should my 78 350 have? I can only find one wire but I have a sensor down by the drivers side spark plugs and my thermostat housing has 2 sensors in it. One button head sensor and one plug in sensor.

Also, right beside the thermostat housing I have a vacuum tree that screws into my intake. It has 4 ports on it and they are all open. Are these supposed to be plugged into something or just capped off?

I suspect that the "engine rebuild" the PO told me about was an engine swap.

Can you post some pictures? You should only have the temp. sender on the side of the cylinder head. On the feedback carbureted cars and trucks, there's a Coolant Temp Sensor that threads into the water neck in addition to a thermal valve switch (TVS). However, yours shouldn't be that. Now, someone might have pulled parts off a CCC truck or car and just used them on yours. In that case, that sensor and others like it if present would be doing nothing. As far as the vacuum tree goes, that should be capped for now unless you figure out that stuff should be plugged in there. Most of that stuff comes off the carb, and cruise and HVAC usually get their vacuum from a port on the center-rear of the intake. If all your vacuum operated components are accounted for, I'd plug up what you don't need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

ryan_289

Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Royal Sierra
Engine Size
I will try and get some pictures tonight. This truck has cruise but does not work and the quadrajet has been replaced with an Edelbrock. Im not sure if I have the egr or efe stuff.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I will try and get some pictures tonight. This truck has cruise but does not work and the quadrajet has been replaced with an Edelbrock. Im not sure if I have the egr or efe stuff.

That's okay. It doesn't matter too much what you have or don't have. The most important thing is that you don't have vacuum leaks, and everything that you want to work does. If the rubber on the cruise servo isn't busted, you may be able to get that working pretty easy if you wanted.

ryan_289

Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Royal Sierra
Engine Size
Pic
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh, yeah. That stuff doesn't apply to your truck. You can leave the coolant temperature sensor and that other thing on the water neck alone. Is everything that needs vacuum getting it as far as you can see. If so, you can plug those ports coming off the manifold and anything on the carb that's not being used should there be anything.

ryan_289

Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Royal Sierra
Engine Size
None of the vacuum lines are hooked to the cruise. pcv is hooked up and vacuum advance is hooked up. Ill probably take the vacuum tree and the sensors out and replace them with plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64