1977 C20 hd emissions vacuum lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I can’t find where some of my vacuum lines are supposed to go. I just bought this truck and I am pretty sure something is a little off. I have a single vacuum line coming to the carb in the front bottom next to the ac solenoid. I believe that the airbox connects to the kickdown that is mechanical. I have the repair manual.
You must be registered for see images attach

I cannot figure out if I need a line out the back of the carburetor where the advance is. It has two ports that I can see but the diagram shows nothing.

Also, where does the actual vacuum come from?

I am pretty new at dealing with carburetors, so I probably called something wrong.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I can’t find where some of my vacuum lines are supposed to go. I just bought this truck and I am pretty sure something is a little off. I have a single vacuum line coming to the carb in the front bottom next to the ac solenoid. I believe that the airbox connects to the kickdown that is mechanical. I have the repair manual.

I cannot figure out if I need a line out the back of the carburetor where the advance is. It has two ports that I can see but the diagram shows nothing.

Also, where does the actual vacuum come from?

I am pretty new at dealing with carburetors, so I probably called something wrong.
The one out of your rear of your carb goes to the black canister filter then goes to the vacuum booster ( you have vacuum booster, right?)
The vacuum is produced by the restriction of the intake system vs the flow out of the engine (small opening, exhaust gets pushed outward) in a very simple way.
Can you show us what your trucks engine bay looks like? where does that single vacuum line you have go to? Your vacuum advance?
Do you have a stock air cleaner housing with a THERMAC (the flapper in the snout that looks like a circle on the air cleaner housing near where air enters?

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I do not have a vacuum canister and I don’t have egr as well.

This is the engine bay. As you can somewhat see I have a line that goes from the carb directly to the distributor. It has a mechanical choke that needs hot air. I believe that will come from the valve cover? It says in the service manual the v6 goes to the manifold. Nothing for the v8. There is a pipe out of the valve cover on the passenger side but that doesn’t seem right.

The other connectors in the front are plugged.

In the back

I have this. No idea where it goes.

I also believe the “spark control switch” seems to be gone.

The air cleaner is the original with the flap. It seemed to be plugged into the thermal choke as that is the same size hose. However that doesn’t seem right.

The upper stove to the air cleaner pipe is also gone.

Also, thanks for answering so quick.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last picture is secondary choke pulloff, goes to manifold vacuum. Port in on back of carb currently plugged, make sure it holds vacuum.

Choke heat goes to intake, filtered air supply to carb rear upper port, pictured parts are required. Intake need to be clean for exhaust to warm the area and heat riser working.

Can't tell from picture if intake has provision for heat. Alternate solution, electric choke thermostat can be installed to running power supply. Will require additional oil pressure switch and related wiring.

Attachments

• 100_1343.JPG
    100_1343.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 23

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ok, it’s starting to make sense. I get the secondary choke cutoff. For the hot air this is the air cleaner I have.

It seems I don’t have the hot air parts then. I would probably have to plug this into the carb as well, right?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Provide a picture of the intake area beneath carb on RHS. I suspect carb is newer than truck.

Air cleaner heat has nothing to do with choke heat.

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
After doing some research you are correct about the carb being newer. It is a 17080206. So, a 1980 model.

Here is an ok picture of what I think you are asking for

thanks for your help.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's what I thought, you have a mix master of parts. Easiest/least expensive thing to do is get an electric choke thermostat for that carb and plug the vacuum outlet. Existing intake is for a divorced choke. Either the intake needs to be swapped out to a later style or an earlier carb purchased. Those 2 won't play well with each other.

If you decide to go electric, a power supply with key on power interrupted by an oil pressure switch when engine isn't running. That is accomplished with a T fitting at oil galley near distributor. There really isn't a fast fix to what is there.

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks again. I am learning fast.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's what I thought, you have a mix master of parts. Easiest/least expensive thing to do is get an electric choke thermostat for that carb and plug the vacuum outlet. Existing intake is for a divorced choke. Either the intake needs to be swapped out to a later style or an earlier carb purchased. Those 2 won't play well with each other.

If you decide to go electric, a power supply with key on power interrupted by an oil pressure switch when engine isn't running. That is accomplished with a T fitting at oil galley near distributor. There really isn't a fast fix to what is there.
he also has a provision to use the THERMAC on the air cleaner, but its up to him if he wants to make it functional. OP, do you live where its cold?

njones

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholaus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
No, I’m in Arkansas so mostly warm

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a similar carburetor on my truck right now - a 17080213, so maybe you will find these pictures useful.
- I use full manifold vacuum for the distributor, but you could use ported instead. Whichever you use, the other small port must be plugged.
- The large threaded port on the back is for the power brakes, and the large 3/8” vacuum nipple on the front is for PCV.
- There are vacuum lines running to primary and secondary choke pull-offs, and I have converted to an electric choke.

Attachments

• DSC_0746.jpeg
    DSC_0746.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0749.jpeg
    DSC_0749.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0744.jpeg
    DSC_0744.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
California, just had mine rebuilt, no other options!
Should be a diagram on the core support

Attachments

• IMG_2009.png
    IMG_2009.png
    965.9 KB · Views: 22

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
GM didn’t put the emissions diagram and other info on the core support until sometime in the late 70’s. AFAIK, for my ‘75 the diagram was on the side of the air cleaner, and it’s long gone.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm assuming your '77 should be like my '78. There's a thermal switch that controls the vacuum advance, but nothing else. I can get pictures of the setup, if needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad