1977 4x4 short box EFI fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greenjeens

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super Short Box 4x4 1/2 ton
Engine Size
I have a 1977 cheyenne super 4x4 with the short box which is new to me as of two weeks ago.

This has probably been answered numerous times. Can I use a tbi fuel sender assembly from an 87 or newer with the i take pump in one of my side saddle tanks?

I am converting to tbi or possibly fast EZ efi and want an intake conversion. I have done plenty of efi conversions but never on a pickup. I am pretty sure the tank thats left on the passenger side the driver side is missing is a 16 gallon tank.

I had an 86 blazer before this and just used an 87 sender with pump for that conversion. However this is not the same size as the blazer tank. Looking for a good intank pump setup that would work without spending a bundle on a ricks hotrods custom tank.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes-use 1987 TBI 16 gallon tanks and senders and use the WalBro 255 drop in replacement pumps. You will need a dedicated dual tank control harness as well as a newer style 65 psi rated selector valve too. I have made this part easy if you need a kit-its complete from dash switch to pumps including a new valve.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greenjeens

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Excellent, I thought that would be the case. I have a brand new walbro 255 in the basement that I was going to use for my Chevelle. For whatever reason the previous owner took off the driver side tank and left the passenger side tank in with rubber lines to the fuel pump. I'm ok with one tank for now, and I will get better mileage with EFI so the tank will last longer. Needless to say it guzzles gas and will not run on an incline which is useless for a 4x4, so injection it is.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Keep in mind the tanks designed for fuel injection have a sump area around the pickup, to keep the pump from starving of fuel.

Schulzee

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have done the same, 87 fuel sending unit with 255 walbro. I used a corvette fuel filter/regulator combo as well.

As for fuel starving, I don't let the tank get low at all because I was worried about starvation.

Greenjeens

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wouldn't think the sump would cause any issues would it? Is there baffles in the tank? Or does the sump hang low?

I just noticed the reply before this, was there starvation issues in the 87 and up short boxes wih tbi that used the same tank?

Schulzee

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
From what I read when I did my conversion was 87 up tanks are physically the same on the outside as my 78 but have baffles while carb fuel tanks don't.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I wouldn't think the sump would cause any issues would it? Is there baffles in the tank? Or does the sump hang low?

I just noticed the reply before this, was there starvation issues in the 87 and up short boxes wih tbi that used the same tank?

The baffles were installed to ensure that the electric pump wouldn't starve due to fuel slosh

From what I read when I did my conversion was 87 up tanks are physically the same on the outside as my 78 but have baffles while carb fuel tanks don't.

This. About the only physical difference on the outside was when they changed the filler tube sizes. The sending unit openings are all the same.

Greenjeens

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was going to do an 87 tank and a sending unit, so I should be ok then as far as fuel starvation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne