1975 K10 Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
So I am new in the world of old trucks and recently purchased a 1975 K10 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.7l 350. I am having some tranny issues. When it is cold, it doesnt want to shift into gear. I have to sit and rev the engine until it finally jumps into gear. I think that I have the TH350 transmission. I have been looking around the internet for brand new transmissions and rebuild kits, but that is just me shooting in the dark. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Fluid level and condition?

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
the truck is in good condition but I haven't checked the fluid level in the past week.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I meant condition of the fluid.

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
just checked the fluid. the condition looks great. color makes it look brand new.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Transmission is going to need a rebuild soon. Mine is doing this as well and usually means something internal is worn out.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Transmission is going to need a rebuild soon. Mine is doing this as well and usually means something internal is worn out.

This is probably the case here. If the fluid looks that new, the previous owner probably had issues and tried to change the fluid to help it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is probably the case here. If the fluid looks that new, the previous owner probably had issues and tried to change the fluid to help it.

Yup I changed fluid and new filter and nothing changed. From what I've read internal seals start to fail and it doesn't hold fluid.

Some people say you can use brake fluid mixed in to help swell the seals but its just a temporary fix.

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350

so I'm assuming that the next step is confirming what transmission is in it. anybody have any recommended sites for ordering rebuild kits?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so I'm assuming that the next step is confirming what transmission is in it. anybody have any recommended sites for ordering rebuild kits?

Rebuilding a transmission is a job not for faint of heart. Requires a lot attention and special tools.

Look at the bottom of the pan to determine what transmission you have.

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Rebuilding a transmission is a job not for faint of heart. Requires a lot attention and special tools.

Look at the bottom of the pan to determine what transmission you have.

I prefer to do all my work myself but I believe a transmission rebuild might be out of my skill level. This job might be taken to my mechanic.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine was doing something similar. I would pull out to the road, traffic coming so shift into reverse and nothing. Turns out the shifting linkage just needed a little adjustment, so I would recommend checking the basics first. If it wont go in drive pull the shifter down a little like you're trying to go to 2nd. If it kicks in gear you know what to do. If the fluid is bright red and doesn't look like it has lost any clutch material in it, it could possibly be a stuck valve in the valve body. If it turns out it really does need a rebuild, I and others posted a lot of info in this thread about where to buy parts, tips & tricks, procedures, etc....
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14404

wyeaples

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
I already have to adjust the shift lever toward neutral for drive to work. You mentioned a stuck valve. If we are already in the transmission for a valve fix, wouldn't it be wise to just do the whole thing?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The valve body is accessible under the pan. Rebuilding the whole trans requires removal from the truck, removing the front pump and all internals. Some tools you may have to fabricate/borrow/rent. If you already have to fiddle with the shifter I would say it has more to do with that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fort things first instead of all the speculation identify what trans you have. @yevgenievich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78