Radiator condenser combo.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Seems as no one has an aluminum radiator in stock for my 86 gmc. Was planning on using an original configuration because the ac condenser lines come around the end of the rad on the right side into the engine bay. This limits me on the length of a rad. Question is if I use a later modle wider rad how can I still have condenser line access for ac? Oh BTW this is in reference to an ls swap.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you try Rock Auto? Just looked they have a large selection. Most replacements today are aluminum. Bought one for an 85. Fit was very good.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have an aftermarket radiator that's a few inches wider than stock. I also have an aftermarket condenser for my Vintage Air system. If you plan on converting to R134, you want the biggest condenser you can fit. You will have custom hoses either way so it really doesn't matter. Get the biggest radiator and condenser you can and make them fit.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
There is a post somewhere that shows how to upgrade the radiator using 88+'ish truck radiators. Some even included oil cooling. These were still copper/brass. @bucket @HotRodPC @89Suburban for a refresher hopefully.

I don't like plastic tanks personally, so I stuck with original on my swap as I have a radiator shop close by.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There is a post somewhere that shows how to upgrade the radiator using 88+'ish truck radiators. Some even included oil cooling. These were still copper/brass. @bucket @HotRodPC @89Suburban for a refresher hopefully.

I don't like plastic tanks personally, so I stuck with original on my swap as I have a radiator shop close by.
Been a long time since I dealt with those old school brass radiators. That being said, in today's world of plastic tanks/aluminum cores vs all aluminum. I'll take the plastic tank/alum core all day long.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Been a long time since I dealt with those old school brass radiators. That being said, in today's world of plastic tanks/aluminum cores vs all aluminum. I'll take the plastic tank/alum core all day long.
really.....why? Cost? I've been sticking with brass because I've got a radiator shop up the road. i need to start stock piling them I think lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
really.....why? Cost? I've been sticking with brass because I've got a radiator shop up the road. i need to start stock piling them I think lol.

I see many stories over on the Tahoe Yukon forum about all aluminum radiators developing leaks at welds more than makes me comfy about even trying one. I just replaced the factory plastic/alum rad in my Tahoe last fall. It had over 350K on it. I replaced it with a factory one.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Seems as no one has an aluminum radiator in stock for my 86 gmc. Was planning on using an original configuration because the ac condenser lines come around the end of the rad on the right side into the engine bay. This limits me on the length of a rad. Question is if I use a later modle wider rad how can I still have condenser line access for ac? Oh BTW this is in reference to an ls swap.
Cold case has them in stock. https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/p...aluminum-performance-radiator?sku=GMT556A21LS

I think if you use the code “Vice grip” in checkout you’ll get free shipping.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
After a couple of fitment issues with aftermarket radiators I had my original OE high efficiency radiator re-cored. Not inexpensive but looking back, I have no regrets

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Took my 85 diesel rad with air to the local shop, full of holes. Ordered an exact replacement, brass copper, came to me from texas. They are out there but expensive, 700 bucks, (ouch), but it was exactly like the one I pulled so everything fit, still a PITA to install, took me 4 hours of struggling. My wife said it's so big...I told her thanks babe.

Attachments

• IMG_2462~photo.JPG
    IMG_2462~photo.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 5

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Well Perry, my wife is just awesome, We have a lot of fun, the way it should be. Took three times...ugh

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You have to forgive this muhhfugger. He grew up as a Dodge lover, didn't get along with his dad to well, then when he did finally come over from the dark side and got into the Chevy fan club, he did wonderful for a few years. Then his boss gave him a later model Hoe and he dumped the square. So give him a break, it really wasn't all his fault. He's been lead by the wrong crowd. Best just to love him as he is and have some empathy for @89Suburban . He really means no harm telling you to buy plastic BS, but he's his own worst enemy and don't know it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26