Vent window handle replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Decided to replace my wobbly and pitted vent window handles today with a kit ordered from Classic Industries. What a difference! Tight and shiny just like new. I do not hear real good but I can notice less air noise while driving now.

The kit included extra parts, but kept track as I removed the old ones so I wouldn’t get tripped up. The old ones didn’t have a plastic seal on the inside but I added one and all is well. Old parts on right, new ones on the left in picture.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Same sets that LMC sells. I just put mine together and it wasn't too difficult. I did notice that if you try to open the latch without clicking the unlock switch they will spin a little in the glass. Not enough to be able to open though.
They are tight which is nice! The problem I have right now is the silver striker plate on both driver and passeger sides came off and nobody makes a repop. I'm probably going to have to find a small rivet to put them back on.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Those plastic washers break fairly easily and are not a Stand alone part you can get the last time we tried. Finally put Vintage Air in and told E to not use the vent windows much as that caused the black plastic washers to break.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 66

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
My problem is on my 84, is I can't get the pin that holds the handle on, out. I tried lightly tapping it with a center punch, but no luck. I don't want to break the glass, so what is the secret? Would a spray lube possibly help(PB Blaster, WD-40)?

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
I gave mine a shot of PB Blaster and let it set overnight. Then used a punch to drive them out. To install the new pins I ground a chamfer on one end to help get them started.

I used a large pair of channel locks with softeners to protect the finish to install the new pins. The channel locks drive them in almost all the way, then finish driving them with your punch.

Last edited:

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We use a small rivet or punch to drive it out as well. Doing it again today since we replaced the drivers vent the was shattered after ice storm and too much pulling by a 16 year old …,,,

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
I recently did this too and had to drill the roll pin out and even then it was a fight to extract everything.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Mine were so loose, I could turn them from the outside and reach through to the unlock button in the event I locked my keys in my truck (did it a couple times lol). Replaced my locks right before I went to Dino's Git Down last year. What did I do on the way back? In the middle of a blizzard? In the parking lot of a restaurant that was closing? Locked my keys in the truck... :banghead: :lol:

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Mine were so loose, I could turn them from the outside and reach through to the unlock button in the event I locked my keys in my truck (did it a couple times lol). Replaced my locks right before I went to Dino's Git Down last year. What did I do on the way back? In the middle of a blizzard? In the parking lot of a restaurant that was closing? Locked my keys in the truck... :banghead: :lol:
oops

Hottshot0069

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.0 / 305
Any recommendations as to where to purchase a good set of these? One that will last more than 18 months. I have already replaced these handles twice now. The rubber gasket keeps getting dry rotted and then starts coming out then the handle just moves around and let air come in through the vent. I end up having to shove paper be hind it like my dad did back in the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400