tailgate mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

egor

Reaction score
First Name
edward
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/1500
Engine Size
seen a pic of a swingout tailgate and would like to do this to my truck,a swb fleetside c10/1500 1973 vintage. could anyone help with some info about doing this? thanks in advance.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I had thought of building something like that when I had my jeep grand Cherokee, I was going to use the spindle and bearings from the front wheel of an old 2 wheel drive truck or car. Never got around to it hit a deer with that truck. Take a look at jeep wranglers a lot of them have those, they don't seem like they would hold up to a tire much bigger or heavyer then stock which is why I was going to build my own using the spindle.
Whatever you end up putting together put some pics up here, would be neat to see one one a pickup, most people just throw the spare in the back.

egor

Reaction score
First Name
edward
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/1500
Engine Size
perhaps you misunderstood my post. i want the stock tailgate to open like a door not drop down in the usual way. have some ideas just curious if someone else had seen it down or had a way.your idea may work just don't want it too heavy where it may sag when opened. maybe a tube frame,lightweight, and skin it with the sheet metal. the problem would be on hinge side as opening it may crash the bedside. then maybe not. i will keep researching/designing and post what i come up with. thank you for your idea and reply.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
I see, I thought you were looking for a spare tire carrier, your right though the length would put a lot of stress on the hinge and the sheet metal of the bedside would need to be reinforced. Maybe look into splitting it in the middle and hinging on both sides like the back doors of a suburban.

egor

Reaction score
First Name
edward
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/1500
Engine Size
tailgate mod

seen that but prefer 1 pc door idea. just different. frame of aluminum stock with sheetmetal skin. hinge and latch ideas are what i'm working on. old station wagons had swing out door and they were heavy !!! something like this idea makes truck mine not typical. i'm a machine builder and build/assemble many types of automation for auto/nasa/defense/industrial use. travel about US then installing said automation.get to see many nice trucks/cars that way.current 73 bought in tennessee last year.run until daughter blew motor after i replaced trans 3 days earlier. her bad now mine. will post pics soon of truck and engine i'm putting. thanks and L8r, ed gray

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
Definetly sounds like you've got the background to come up with something really cool, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef