Tailgate Hinges Rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreightShaker2704

Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci - 700r4
Hey guys I have a problem with my tailgate. The hinges attached to the tailgate seem to be fine but the piece attached to the bed that the hinge goes into i think its called a Trunnion is rusted out. I know that i can buy new ones but the problem is where the trunnion attaches on the bed is all rusted out and almost like a hole will soon happen. And what is happening is when i put the tailgate down it sometimes falls off. Do i need to buy a new bed?? or is it able to be fixed. Please let me know Thanks.

And also my truck is an 87 V10 but im thinkin its a camper special of some kind i tried to look it up but nothing has come up yet. The reason is it has the following - Tri-pod mirrors, 2 tanks, quad front shocks, and in the glove box it has a camper instruction sticker. But no badge on the side just the normal silverado 10.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is there enough room behind the sheet metal to get a piece of flat steel behind the sheet metal. If so, use about 1/8 in steel, drill proper size holes and tap some threads in it.

Do you have any pics of it? How is the condition of the rest of the bed? Is it worth saving? Are beds expensive where you're at? You can find them here with very very minor rust for $100-$300 depending if tailgate is included and overall condition. But I've heard other places in the rust belt, a good bed goes for $400-$600. You needing long or short bed? Be prepared to pay bigger bucks if you need short. Those short boys think they have gold.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I did this recently on that 82 I sold. Welded in a piece of patch metal after cutting out the bad. This was on the side with the round hinge. Instead of buying the hinge I welded a very large nut to the patch piece, worked fine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup, that's kinda what I'm getting at.

FreightShaker2704

Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci - 700r4
Hey thanks guys here is a pic of the hinges. I think im gonna go ahead and weld the plate and put new hinges on it like you guys said. and ill put another pic of the truck. The bed has the most rust out of the whole truck.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images